hiding.. and real cans

Discussions about caching in General.
Q
Top Rank Poster

hiding.. and real cans

Postby Q » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:32 am

After a hiatus of some time I recently started doing some hunting again. Lots of newbies in My area. Most are smalls, legoguy, m&m, Pill bottle or 35mm, some even smaller. At first the kids loved this. But it only takes a couple of micros in a row for them to tune out. For them it is all about the swag...even if we trade not. "What's in this one?"

I got curious and was looking to do a Ouachita/hwy 7 run. Many of these are also.....small.

My placing cans has been delayed because of this. I wanna do cans that can hold at least a few items. Larger is harder and needs a bit more isolation. At first I was taking permission a bit too seriously.... Wait... I did not say that.

Anywho. Please more larger hides. We need something good between the ammo box and a 35 mm can. Whadayathank? suggestions? I plan on getting some out there and kinda hate to resort to more micros.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Lock and Locks come in all shapes and sizes and seem to hold up well (unless you cammo them sooo well they are stepped on a lot. :wink: ) They are not animal proof and if the hide is popular the snap wings get weak and break. I've seen more then one of the small ones with broken closers but the silicon seals are great and take the temperature changes in our neck of the woods well. More can be found on the success or failures of different containers at the Cache Container topic :arrow: viewforum.php?f=5

PS. At an event in Sheridan, I asked what was the largest gripe anyone had about caches and "jaygill" said it was finding a micro in an area that would have easily supported a full size cache. I thought that observation was so profound it received applause from me.
PPS. I did notice I was the only one clapping though. :( so maybe it is just the 3 of us who like placing the largest cache we can get away with. Everyone within hearing has heard me repeatedly applaud "Grandkid38" for placing his huge caches full of toys so my feelings about large kid friendly cache containers is no secret.
Welcome to the dark side!!!!!! :wink:
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:00 pm

That's what I'm sayin', Backjack. Micros have their place, But when ya can..size does matter.

I almost put this over in the container forum, but it kinda touches both subjects. Smaller ones are quick and easy, and not every place can hide an ammo box. Just thinking more in the middle could be out there.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:21 am

I'm not in it for the swag, I'm in it for the experience, so size doesn't mean too much for me....sort of.

A micro-in-the-woods after a long hike is frustrating, though there are exceptions with particularly clever hides. I don't mind finding a high difficulty cache in the woods, if it is difficult due to creativity, but if your idea of making a difficult hide is to stick a nano in the middle of a rockslide and then use poor coordinates when you post the listing then count me out. I don't want to make a five mile hike and then come away empty handed because the hider just wanted to slap down a cache to up their hide numbers.

Of course I also cache with my niece and nephew some and they ARE about the swag (and competeing with each other to find the cache first) so larger caches with good swag are important for them. When I take them out I always filter my listings for larger containers.

AK
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:03 pm

I put a note on the help forum up top??? anybody here??? I got my cans ready and wanna go hide. How do I get my coordinates? Best time of day considering reception or sat coverage or any help??

Return to “General Geocaching”