What is Your Favorite Cache Container?

It isn’t always Just about the great locations.
BackpacknJack
Host

What is Your Favorite Cache Container?

Postby BackpacknJack » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:40 am

It is sort of obvious to any who have found my own caches that large ammo cans are my favorite but I would like to know what you have had the most success using.
First Favorite: Ammo cans
Why: They hold lots of trade stuff so caching for kids is more fun (even if taking nothing from the cache they DO love to rummage around in them and see what all is in there, right?), almost always they stay rust and water free, they are large enough to decorate plus place those GC stickers on, the lids do not warp or crack when exposed to weather or UV.

Second Favorite: Black powder speed loaders.
Why: They open at both ends so it's easy to remove the log, they are large enough to hold a stubby pencil, don't rust, if closed completely by the finders they are almost completely water proof (designed to keep your gun powder dry), the lids are attached, they come in green or gray, they are large enough to write "Official Geocache" and the coords on.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Re: What is Your Favorite Cache Container?

Postby Q » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:42 pm

BackpacknJack wrote:(even if taking nothing from the cache they DO love to rummage around in them and see what all is in there, right?)

AND HOW! The kids love to pilfer 'em. We rarely trade, mostly cuz we forget to bring our own swags.
frojiles

Postby frojiles » Wed May 02, 2007 3:34 pm

what do u think about mr magnetos.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Wed May 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Still a fairly new hunter in terms of time spent out looking. The first magnetic one took me a while. Was not thinking of that option. Now I know. Throw that possibility in the mix when I get on the scene. Magnets make for some interesting hides.
dlyle
Very Active Poster

Postby dlyle » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:58 am

We found a couple of interesting ones in Hot Springs yesterday. One was an old flashlight that had been camo taped. . . Clever . . .
A man's got to know his limitations. . .
Dirty Harry
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:47 pm

dlyle wrote:We found a couple of interesting ones in Hot Springs yesterday. One was an old flashlight that had been camo taped. . . Clever . . .

There is a flashlight cache in Little Rock also and it seems to work well.
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 am

Where do you get the black powder loaders at and what do they normally cost? That sounds like the perfect micro.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:53 am

OEnavigator wrote:Where do you get the black powder loaders at and what do they normally cost? That sounds like the perfect micro.

You can find them in almost any sporting goods section or store. They come any many different sizes (calibers) so the price will vary accordingly and how many are in a package will vary but they should come in between $2 &$3 each or shop elsewhere . *I just read a log where a speed loader was used and it was wet so the owner will not be too happy with them* but as with all containers they leak if they are not closed all the way. I have submerged them for days and hung them on tree limbs for over a year without incident while testing but I did have one log get moldy after a year of outdoor testing even though it never actually appeared wet. The mileage of others may have varied.
The most completely water and weather proof micro containers I have ever discovered are “Cryogenic Vials”, they come in all sizes ($.50 - $1.00 each) but do not open at both ends so you need to work out some way for cachers to get the log out (include a small wire etc.). They are guaranteed to not lose their seal as long as temps are between -321*F and +248*F but as always if they are not closed all the way….. :roll:
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:03 am

I have submerged them for days and hung them on tree limbs for over a year without incident while testing but I did have one log get moldy after a year of outdoor testing even though it never actually appeared wet. The mileage of others may have varied.

It sounds like you are the authority on containers. So I have another question. Have you conducted any tests on Lock and Lock brand containers and if so what were your results?

I just purchased one as I had read they were the next best thing to ammo cans. I think the general consensus was they only lack the longevity.
Phoenix

Cache Containers

Postby Phoenix » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:11 pm

I love to look thru the big ones, but even the micros are great, I think maybe better, they are more of a challenge to find. In my 5 finds, (now you know Im a newbie) Ive found Cal 50 cans, Detox boxes, a powder tube, and even a perfume tube way smaller than a powder tube. Jack.. you really know how to hide them! :D
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:33 pm

OEnavigator wrote:It sounds like you are the authority on containers. So I have another question. Have you conducted any tests on Lock and Lock brand containers and if so what were your results?...I think the general consensus was they only lack the longevity.

Now I don’t know about all that authority stuff, if that were so I wouldn’t need such a large trash can next to my work bench. :(
Actually I have not experimented with lock&locks yet because less then half of them I have encountered seem to work and the others seem to leak. I suppose like you said they have a longevity issue, maybe when exposed to the weather, because very few caches get enough traffic to wear out something like that.
I don’t know much of anything about them but I suppose some day I will try some of them and see if I can improve on that issue but it doesn’t seem to be UV exposure that does them in and it shouldn’t be the cold either if they are made to refrigerate. Maybe someone else has found the key to what and why and how.
Say...maybe the ones we see that leak are the ones allowed out of the house because they leak now. Your spouse ever let you take the good stuff outside to play with? :roll:
HercMaster
New Poster

Postby HercMaster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:34 am

BackpacknJack wrote:You can find them in almost any sporting goods section or store. They come any many different sizes (calibers) so the price will vary accordingly and how many are in a package will vary but they should come in between $2 &$3 each or shop elsewhere . *I just read a log where a speed loader was used and it was wet so the owner will not be too happy with them* but as with all containers they leak if they are not closed all the way. I have submerged them for days and hung them on tree limbs for over a year without incident while testing but I did have one log get moldy after a year of outdoor testing even though it never actually appeared wet.

Damp logs seem quite common, even in containers that appear to be fairly watertight. I suspect the reason may be that when we geocachers open a container (in the cooler months) the container and its contents (including the log) are rather cold. Moisture from our hands and our breath then condense on those cold objects. Then we put that slightly more damp log back in the watertight container, thus preventing the now-slightly-damp log from drying out. Repeat that process a few times during the winter months and you end up with a somewhat damp, perhaps slightly moldy, log!

No solution to that problem occurs to me at the moment, although during the warmer months the effect somewhat reverses and/or one can dry out the log in the warm sunshine.
Obfuscation

Postby Obfuscation » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:05 am

frojiles wrote:what do u think about mr magnetos.

I hid one of these on the end of a piece of "rebar". I took an old weathered piece and cut the end nice and smooth, and flat, to make a good surface for the magnet end. I found one of those concrete parking bumpers like you find to keep folks from pulling up too far. I filled one of the holes in it with sand to a depth just below my rebar and stuck it there. It was there for about 8-9 months with only two finds. I had to move it due to some construction going on. A real neat hide and a real neat container.

By far my favorite for micros is match tubes from wal-mart.
I've had real good luck with a small size loc-n-loc container.
I've just bought two 50cal ammo cans, just need to find a place for them, and I'm working on a PVC design that may turn out interesting.

As fas as 35mm containers go...Of all the ones I've found, I've never found one that wasn't at least damp unless the log was very new.

One of the things I do, as the owner of the caches, is to visit them every couple months and check on them. If the log is damp I replace it. I know that's not real convenient for some folks but...Then theres those guys who own 10 gozillion of them and there's no way to check all of them on a regular basis.

If I find something that's absolutely perfect...I'll sell them on E-Bay...lol

Return to “Cache Containers”