35mm film canisters as caches - YES or NO or DEPENDS?

It isn’t always Just about the great locations.
cupstack
Very Active Poster

35mm film canisters as caches - YES or NO or DEPENDS?

Postby cupstack » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:28 am

The last few "micro caches" I have found that were 35mm film canisters ALL had damp or wet log sheets. One even had mildew. Granted, these have been hung in trees or on the ground at the base of a tree.

If a 35mm film canister is to be used what shuold be the proper steps to take to prepare this type of cache?

Should a 35mm film canister be used at all?

Just wondering about everyone else's opinions and thoughts...
Scooter

Postby Scooter » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:11 pm

Cupstack,
Tigger and myself found a "trail of micros" yesterday. there was 32 in all. One or two had logs thst you could tell had been damp at one time, but all were dry. One of the caches dated back to early 2006. Some had magnets and were underneath objects, others wer just sitting on the ground hidden in a road sign post. One thing I did learn yesterday, if you want to make a trail, for people to see a certain area, that is great. Really loved the area we were in, but don't put a micro EVERY 1/10th of a mile. The constant in and outs and starts and stops and ups and downs (you get the idea) got real old pretty quick.
Hope this helps,
Sylamore
[img:0d71042c6d]http://www.devfolio.com/geocaching/statbar/logo.aspx?uid=7dbe39e5-992f-46df-93b5-e6d566b096fe&txt=Just+Cachin+Around&img=aga[/img:0d71042c6d]
Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.
~John Wayne~
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:24 am

I use a digital camera these days and don't really get many film canisters, but I do use the M&M candy tubes as micros sometimes. What I do to help keep things dry inside is to put them in a ziploc baggie. You can get ziplocs as small as 2" x 2" and they fit just fine inside of even 35mm mirco-caches.

AR_kayaker
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:29 am

I noticed a film can I did one day did not seal well at all. I worried its log would get damp.

Caching for me is all about the kids. They love to pilfer the swag, even with no trading...if we can not trade up we take nothing. They love to look regardless. Lotsa woids to say micros have their place, but we normally go for larger.
BackpacknJack
Host

Re: 35mm film canisters as caches - YES or NO or DEPENDS?

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:07 pm

cupstack wrote:The last few "micro caches" I have found that were 35mm film canisters ALL had damp or wet log sheets. One even had mildew. Granted, these have been hung in trees or on the ground at the base of a tree.

If a 35mm film canister is to be used what shuold be the proper steps to take to prepare this type of cache?

Should a 35mm film canister be used at all?

Just wondering about everyone else's opinions and thoughts...

--------------------------
Just in my humble, less then expert opinion, 35MMs do have their place as cache containers and some seal better then others. The older ones, black on black Kodak, seem to seal better then the others. The newer ones, gray on black Kodak, seem to not seal as well but even in our new digital world there are lots of them around and the gray helps a little with the cammo. There are clear/white looking ones, Fuji I think, that have an L type seal and although I have not seen many of them even the ones sitting on the ground have all been dry.
Most seasoned cachers know that stuff, *water*, often happens to almost any type of container except the old reliable tried and true - ammo cans so they carry small replacement zip bags in varying sizes. I carry 1 ¾ X 2 ¾” and 3 X 4” replacement bags because the top edge of the smaller ones easily rip when opening them.
Pros: They are easy to find and free, you are basically recycling trash in a fun way and they are too small to hold gold bars so who would muggle them, small enough to fit well in lots of places without being spotted, rust free, dent free (hard to reseal dented metal) and the thermo plastics used seem to hold the new plastic bonding paints well.
Cons: They leak, they are short fat tubular so the shape doesn’t fit well in natural settings without some help - and they leak.
When I have an ideal for a cache container or cammo technique I place a test container out in the woods next to the house for about a year or an open spot in the yard so I can test the rain and sun (heat and UV) effect on them before placing them out in the wild. I once posted a thread on another site (paraphrasing and as best I recall) “You may be a hard core cacher if….”, and I thought one of the best responses (topkitty98) was, “if everywhere you shop, you are looking for things that come in small water proof containers.”

35MMs film canisters would be great cache containers if they did seal well and although I haven’t discovered an easy way yet to make them seal better, from time to time I still try.
I started this response with a “JIMHO” because your mileage and that of others my vary greatly.
cachecrazies

Postby cachecrazies » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:30 am

We have found very few 35mm's that were really wet. We have seen some that were wrecked because of cachers trying to put something in them or critters muggling them.

Even the "waterproof" match containers are not always what they should be. We had one out that was constantly wet even though they are made to be waterproof with a rubber 0-ring and a screw on lid.
flannelman

Postby flannelman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:57 pm

I once found a film can floating in a puddle. I expected the log to be soaked and unsignable. To m suprise the cache was bone dry inside. I have seen them totally soaked before though.
la-in-ark
New Poster

Postby la-in-ark » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 am

For micros, I much prefer the bright orange (and then painted or covered in camo tape, etc.) waterproof matchstick containers you can find for like a $1 in the camping section. They aren't much bigger than film canisters but offer a bit more room for logs and better protection.
howmuchmoore
Very Active Poster

Postby howmuchmoore » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:34 pm

I personally don't think that depends would make very good cache containers.

I think that they would just make everything soggy.

But it could just be me.

Howmuchmoore
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:48 pm

howmuchmoore wrote:I personally don't think that depends would make very good cache containers.

I think that they would just make everything soggy.

But it could just be me.

Howmuchmoore

You do know you ain't right, right? :roll:
:D
howmuchmoore
Very Active Poster

Postby howmuchmoore » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:13 pm

is it the pot calling the kettle black?

I figure that you laughed also...

Howmuchmoore
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:31 pm

howmuchmoore wrote: I figure that you laughed also... Howmuchmoore

sí, no desconcertado para decir tan. :wink:
Arky-000

film containers

Postby Arky-000 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 pm

I am a diabetic. I get my test strips in a container thats approximately the same size as a film container BUT its Dry-Loc. The lid is attached to the base and snaps shut with a pop. It even has a paper liner that keeps the strips dry. SO if you know a Diabetic they throw these neet things away.

FYI--Better than a Film container --much better. :D
grzz51
Top Rank Poster

Postby grzz51 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:30 pm

MMMmmmmm, my brother is a diabetic........I'll have to see how he gets his strips.

Return to “Cache Containers”