Get the smell out?

It isn’t always Just about the great locations.
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Get the smell out?

Postby JuggoPop » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Anyone know how to get the smell out of a plastic container?

I have a nice little spice container that has a nice open mouth on it that would be great for a small cache... but it used to hold "grill time seasoning" and even after washing it and airing it out it still smells like the seasoning.

Knowing that the critters are gonna think there is food in there I don't want to use it as is. Unless of course someone can suggest something that has worked in the past.

I figure I could use vinegar to kill the smell, but then how do I get the smell of vinegar out. lol

Any ideas? or do you think I should just trash it?
Image Brian
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Bleach might work, or something like oxyclean, but personally I'd just trash it in favor of something that never had food in it.

AK
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:00 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:I'd just trash it in favor of something that never had food in it.

I'm thinking the same thing...
Image Brian
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:33 pm

If there isn't molasses or any type of sugar in the mix I doubt if many critters are going to want to eat it. Some cache hiders have used, successfully or not I don't know, different ground hot peppers to keep critters from messing with their fake acorns etc. but with plastic it is all a matter of chemicals. If you could get it to smell like vinegar or hot peppers and stay that way I think you would be in good shape. Not many critters want to have anything to do with either of them but plastic is basically always curing so any scent you place on the outside will most likely sort of slough off. Example: Place gas in a new plastic gas can and soon the sticker will fall off because the gas is evaporating through the plastic and there for the smell is permeating the plastic. Gas will age and deteriorate in plastic but stay stable if sealed in metal or glass. (according to a fuel scientist report that I read). I would say if there was no sugar in the mix try it. If it doesn't work you will only loose a log sheet and pencil and less then a $1 to replace it with a waterproof matchbox. If it does work you will be using/recycling something far less scary then all those pill bottles you find.

Return to “Cache Containers”