Beach key tube - water tested over time

It isn’t always Just about the great locations.
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Beach key tube - water tested over time

Postby JuggoPop » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:48 am

A while back I said I would test the beach tube/key holder. I have some woods behind my house. I took a camo duct-taped version out and hung it on a limb.

After the recent rains I figured it was time to go check on it.

Guess what... it FAILED.

In it I had a marble, a small game piece and a die. On top of that I had a small slip of paper.

The paper is soaked to the point that it could not be written on and there is water standing in the bottom. All items are wet.

So there you go. A month, some woods, some rain and a beach tube. And nature came out on top on this one.

Anything else anyone want tested? I'll be glad to build one and stick it out there for a while.
Image Brian
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Congrats! I thought you would see the light on this test. Some things, like coffee cans, tupboxes and the O-ring seals on buffalo tubes, work until they go through a season or two of expansion/contraction/UV rays, etc.
Animals are a problem also. The animals in the woods around here must think I'm the weirdest human they have ever seen because I have all sorts of stuff being tested. I've learned that besides water, Ants are a big problem if a cache is not visited very often, Squirrels are a huge problem for nanos and Raccoons are a problem no matter what you put out if they can move it or find some way to bite it or get into it. Raccoons are curious about everything and very good at figuring out how to get into things and they destroy my bird feeders and bird houses and humming bird feeders all the time and they like to carry-off/hoard/collect things. Squirrels don't seem to keep most small things but they will move them enough to make them lost to us. Maybe they just have a sense of humor :) and think geocaching is a lot of fun for them too.
Thanks for sharing your results. Now what ya got hidden under the leaves at your place? :?:
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I enjoy testing containers... almost as much as I do building containers. I hate to have to just stick to a set few "things that work" and I'm always looking for something new to try out.

Right now I have nothing in testing... but I'll let you know when that changes. 8)
Image Brian
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:59 pm

The most waterproof container I've found to date has been a loc'n'loc

I left one sunk in the lake with some paper and some lead weights for two weeks without getting any water inside and none of the ones I have "in the field" have failed so far either.

AK
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:43 pm

Someone e-mailed and asked about where to find loc'n'loc's and I figured I'd post the answer here just in case others aren't familiar with these contianers.

Here in Arkansas they can be readily found at pretty much any wal-mart in the housewares section. Look for the isle with other cheap plastic containers near the pots and pans.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:38 pm

Those key floats shouldn't leak but they do and that engineering flaw bugs me so I've been testing one I added an "O"ring to and guess what, it leaked. I'm starting to think it is because there are two different types of plastic used and they expand and contract at different rates so they don't maintain the snug fit needed to seal at all times. There is also a lip in the design that should make an excellent drip edge but my paper was soaked this time too.

JuggoPop, I saw two mushrooms exactly like the fake ones you showed me. You are indeed an artist and your replicas ARE perfect.
(now that I think about it did I run into one of your test sights and just thought I saw some real mushrooms that looked like your fakes :? )
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:54 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:Here in Arkansas they can be readily found at pretty much any wal-mart in the housewares section.

Thanks for the heads up. I found a knockoff of an otterbox in the camping section at walmart as well. I haven't bought one yet, and they seem to sell out quickly... but they are hard plastic and look to seal very well.

BackpacknJack wrote:JuggoPop, I saw two mushrooms exactly like the fake ones you showed me. You are indeed an artist and your replicas ARE perfect.

Thank you sir. :) 8)
Image Brian

Return to “Cache Containers”