Magnets...

It isn’t always Just about the great locations.
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Magnets...

Postby JuggoPop » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:16 pm

Anyone have a good resource for some strong magnets? I would prefer someplace I could swing by and pick some up rather then ordering them online or on ebay...

I remember seeing some in a few hides that had what looked like ripped pieces of metal... about the thickness of 6-8 sheets of notebook paper, but were extremely strong.

Anybody care to share? 8)
Image Brian
cupstack
Very Active Poster

Postby cupstack » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:53 pm

You might try Radio Shack. They used to have a variety of magnets.

cupstack
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:05 pm

If you can find someone who does computer repair and has the discretion to dispose of the dead hard drives the way they want to you can get two seriously powerful magnets out of each drive that are about 2cm x 1cm and only as thick as a pair or dimes. Notebook hard drives have even smaller magnets.

One of my friends used to pass me off 5 or 6 drives a month, but they started making them turn in the drives due to privacy issues and I can't get them now.

AK
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:39 am

cupstack wrote:You might try Radio Shack. They used to have a variety of magnets.

cupstack

Will try this for sure. Thanks!

ar_kayaker wrote:If you can find someone who does computer repair and has the discretion to dispose of the dead hard drives the way they want to you can get two seriously powerful magnets out of each drive that are about 2cm x 1cm and only as thick as a pair or dimes. Notebook hard drives have even smaller magnets.

One of my friends used to pass me off 5 or 6 drives a month, but they started making them turn in the drives due to privacy issues and I can't get them now.

AK

I have a couple of old drives right here in my office... Now I have a new project. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thanks!
Image Brian
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:27 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:...you can get two seriously powerful magnets out of each drive ... AK

Thanks for this... I cracked open on of the ones in my office yesterday at lunch time. These were perfect for my needs. I mean spot on.

Thanks a bunch.
Image Brian
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 pm

Depending on the drive it may also have a third, much smaller, magnet in the armature. Not as strong, but still pretty strong for it's size. If it is there it will probably be a cylinder about 1.5mm thick and about 2.5mm long.

AK
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:30 pm

Right now Hobby Lobby has a LARGE selection of neo magnets if anyone is looking. And they are super cheap.

I got 10 of the teeny tiny flat circles for like $3. I saw the same thing online by another company for $8-$12.
Image Brian

Return to “Cache Containers”