Anyone else addicted?

It isn’t always Just about the great locations.
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Anyone else addicted?

Postby JuggoPop » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Here's the scoop.

I'm a newbie geocacher & have (to date) placed zero hides. My wife says I have to hide at least one before I can prep up any more containers. I build them thinking I'll have them ready when the perfect spot jumps out at me. Here's a photo of my current containers, minus one I have in the woods testing against the weather.

They should all be waterproof, except for D & E. But I think I can hide those out of the elements for the most part. The ammocan currently hold my swag... it makes a great "geo-toolbox" for the trunk of my car. J is one of my favorites. I just wonder how well other cachers would take to it. Here's a better pic:

It is supposed to be a soup and cracker thermos. It opens in two stages. The first reveals a screwoff "cracker box"... it could hold a log and small pencil. Screw that off and you get to the rest of the container, where the soup would normally be. (of course that's where the swag goes)

Anyone else addicted to building containers?
Image Brian
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:10 am

ok... I got my first hide out there. And I have a new outlook on making cache containers as well. (not so newbie-ish)

My most recent attempt was using a 2 ounce plastic travel jar and some marine epoxy (think "mighty putty" as advertised on tv, only cheaper from the auto/bondo section at wal-mart)... a little paint and some dirt, and made a decent rock.

I don't think it's good enough yet though... 8)
Image Brian
HikerRon

Postby HikerRon » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:09 am

I too have a box full of new cache containers, ready to be placed. finding a location for them is the problem:)
i find myself quite often looking at something in a store and thinking ' that would make a great cache container'. i have been known to buy it, throw the product away, and just use the container:)
howmuchmoore
Very Active Poster

Postby howmuchmoore » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Having been sitting here and thinking about moisture in caches, I wonder if the silica gel would help with condensation in caches. Haven't tried it... i was just putting it out there.

Maybe that will help.

Howmuchmoore
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:06 pm

HikerRon wrote:i have been known to buy it, throw the product away, and just use the container:)

I hate to admit it... but I think the same thing. I haven't done it yet, but have come very close.

howmuchmoore wrote:I wonder if the silica gel would help with condensation in caches.

I've wondered that too... I guess some field tests are in order. :)
Image Brian
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:14 am

I'm not addicted to designing new containers, but I do a few experiemtns once in a while. I just finished checking the waterproofness of a small loc-n-loc that I sank to the bottom of the local fishing lake two weeks ago.

After two weeks under four feet of water all of the contents were still nicely dry with no leaks at all. If it will still be that leakproof after 20 cachers open and close it is still up in the air. I think the next thing will be to place it as a cache someplace and let it get found for a few months and then submerge it again.

AK

Return to “Cache Containers”