A log from Beverly

Stub a toe or find a fake mole down a 6ft hole? Tell us about it.
BackpacknJack
Host

A log from Beverly

Postby BackpacknJack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:12 pm

This is a recent log for Beverly [GC28] in Dundee, Illinois.
Beverly holds the distinction of being the oldest geocache in Illinois, the oldest geocache east of the Mississippi River and the 3rd oldest geocache in the world. >BEVERLY [GC28] <
I thought you may enjoy this adventure story and of course I think there are a few lessons to learn here and worth the read. Just because it has been, doesn't mean it still is.
(I have been questioned more then once about why I was on someone's property, all along thinking the owners or caretakers or authorities knew about the cache just to discover things had changed.)
Copied and shared here with permission from “alleslapp”.
-------------------------------------------

alleslapp found Beverly (Traditional Cache) at 9/3/2009

Log Date: 9/3/2009
1st things 1st. Thank you for keeping this cache up and alive.

Now on to the dirt. Made our way in and made the find. Did the obligatory photo op., read thru the logs, peruse the cache deal. Spent a little while at GZ. Once all the required things were completed, we replaced everything and headed out. Normally the story would end there. Today that was not the case. As we were at the cache site I did hear off in the distance what sounded like ATV's. Didn't really pay much attention to it. Well, as we were headed back out, we spotted one of the ATV's coming down the trail. As soon as he spotted us, he made a beeline right at us. It was a Forest Preserve Officer. Great. Asked the standard "what are you guys doing?" question and asked for ID. I had mine...OLAC did NOT have his. He asked to see what we had in our backpacks. No problem officer. Here ya go nice officer, feel free to check out our first aid supplies, cache maint. supplies, TB/Geocoin bags and water bottles and bug spray. He wasn't nasty at all. Briefly rummaged thru both our bags as we explained Geocaching. He said they had a report of "suspicious" activity. (See my log for FCC Visits Beverly) Not long after...ATV #2 showed up with officer "not so friendly". At this point we had quite the "once-over" by both. #2 to arrive said..."let's go see this "box"". Okay...it's in there. Off we go to visit Beverly with the officers close behind. Got to the cache, showed Beverly to them and at that point they both seemed to mellow out a bit. Chatted yet more about Geocaching as #1 to arrive ran my ID over the radio. Made our way back out to the newly named ATV parking area. Officer #1 to arrive returned my ID, thanked us for our cooperation and warned us the sun was setting sooner now so don't get lost in the preserve. I said I hope we won't..after all we have 2 GPS units! He chuckled, I shook his hand and off we went......

Didn't see any trackables in the cache. Dropped a coin.

Oh and on a side note... Beverly was cache #800 for me!!!! WhoHoo. I won't soon forget Beverly. [:P]
-------------------------------------
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Weather and planet alignment, etc. permitting I plan on this being my 1,200th find. Anyone wanna make a mad run up to the Chicago area for a few days to log the 3rd oldest geocache on the planet?
gingerose
Active Poster

Postby gingerose » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:31 pm

Sounds very tempting but unfortunantly school is in session.
Ashallond

Postby Ashallond » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 pm

What gingerose said...
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:14 pm

BackpacknJack wrote:....... a mad run up to the Chicago area for a few days to log the 3rd oldest geocache on the planet?

Yep, there are some very sweet advantages to being old and retired. :wink:
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:45 am

Yall just paint me gone, :arrow: me and Beverly got a date. Yall be good. :wink:

Return to “Geocaching Adventures”