Alabama's First Geocache

Stub a toe or find a fake mole down a 6ft hole? Tell us about it.
BackpacknJack
Host

Alabama's First Geocache

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:44 am

Alabama’s oldest geocache.
On my quest to find Alabama’s oldest geocache I left on the morning of the 17th of Sept and got back on the evening of the 20th.
The results:
Target = “Trussville Civitan - Alabama’s First Cache” [GC126] by the TheAlabamaRambler, placed 1-2-2001
Destination = Trussville, Alabama (NE of Birmingham, AL)
States traveled through = 4 (Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama)
Miles put on my car = 541 (Huh???? Birmingham and back in only 541mi ?? )
Cost of gas = $198.38 (what kind of mileage is that?)
Cost of motels = $194.56 (ya gotta stay where ever the tow truck drops you right? Tow Truck? Did you say Tow truck?? :shock: )
Cost of Tow Truck = $65.00 (water pump went out :( )
Cost of Tow Truck = $65.00 (first garage wouldn’t fix it because you have to take most of the engine apart :shock: :shock: )
Cost of rental car = $76.29 (it was the only place close enough to walk to from my motel)
Miles put on rental car = unlimited (Muscle Shoals, AL to Trussville and back. Impressed with the Ford Edge though :)
Cost of fixing the car =$606.39
Cost of getting someone to feed my critters = $60.00
Total cost of trip minus food, tips, water, etc. = $1,200.59 (what kind of math is that?? )

Return on my investment in this trip:
I made my 800th milestone find.
I found another State’s oldest Geocache (that makes 7 now including the oldest in the world).
I got to go back to Northern Alabama again and drive on some great roads and meet some of the best people America has to offer.
I got to visit the Alabama Music Hall of Fame.
I got to get **1** $65 return (not both tow charges) on my $120 a year road service (now the math makes more sense yes? ).
I got to find 46 geocaches (and search for a lot more then that ;) )
I walked/hiked/crawled/scrambled/trudged/climbed/hacked/sweated off 3 lbs. :D
I got to take yet one more road trip and explore the back roads.

It was a great “top-down” trip through the Southern States, filled with endless adventures at a cost of only $26.10 per find (I toss in all the DNF’s with the wet feet, holes in your shirt do to thorns, skeeter bites, scratches from briars, etc. and just figure they are free. You do too right? :) )
Life is good!
howmuchmoore
Very Active Poster

Postby howmuchmoore » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 pm

Great post, jack

sounds like our trip, except ours was a heater coil and it was in Colorado Springs.

howmuchmoore
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 am

howmuchmoore wrote:Great post, jack

sounds like our trip, except ours was a heater coil and it was in Colorado Springs.

howmuchmoore

I made a "Top-Down" trip to find the oldest geocache in the world, Mingo [GC30] near Colby Kansas, last Oct and made a top-down run up into Colorado and then up into Nebraska and down to Dodge City, Kansas before heading to the oldest cahe in Missouri but nothing actually happened of interest, well except maybe I also stopped on my up and found the oldest cache in Oklahoma so that made 3 State's oldest, including the oldest in the world, in one trip (maybe only interesting to me though ;). So it was just me running around the country side top-down and thanking the Lord I'm able to do and enjoy such things.
By the way, I had no ideal (lots of things I have no ideal about ;) ), even with the shorter daylight hours of October you could drive from Little Rock to Colorado in one day so leaving central Arkansas and finding the oldest cache in the world is an easy one day trip with time left over to find a few caches along the way.
Top-up or top-down - life IS good isn't it?

Return to “Geocaching Adventures”