Headed to Louisville/Keeneland, Kentucky

Stub a toe or find a fake mole down a 6ft hole? Tell us about it.
BackpacknJack
Host

Headed to Louisville/Keeneland, Kentucky

Postby BackpacknJack » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:15 am

My goal of finding the oldest geocache in another State for each of my 100th milestones had me stopped on my cache run through Western Arkansas the other day (Paris, Bloomer, Lavaca, Mayberry, etc.) because I was at 593 and I had earmarked Kentucky for number 600. I may choose to give up on the tradition some day but at least not so soon I hope so I’m headed to Keeneland, KN this morning to find the oldest cache in Kentucky. Had the rain not changed my mind I would have left 2 days ago and I probably would have experienced my first earthquake either in Louisville or Evansville and that would have been just waaaaay too much geocaching adventure for me. Yall have fun and thanks to “High Speed Mobile Broadband” I’ll stay in touch.
May all your outdoor adventures be successful ones. BPNJ
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:54 pm

Hey, I’m back and cache find #600 - “Tom Sawyer” @ Tom Sawyer State Park - is done!!!
I had no clue that Kentucky would be in full bloom this late in the year but it will have to go on my list as one of the most colorful and beautiful states I have ever visited. The trip, all 5 days and 1,221 miles of it, was a great experience and I’m sure glad I did it. I visited sooo many places of interest that it would take a book to go into detail but here is a heavily truncated list of places ya just gotta see if you get the chance.
All of the “Louis and Clark” stuff along the Ohio River in Indiana. You can spend a week exploring here.
Louisville Slugger museum and factory. You wont regret of forget it.
Birth place of President Lincoln. You wont regret or forget it.
Any exit you find along Hwy65. Waaaay too many places to mention but as is most often the case - if you want to know what is worth visiting just check out the cache locations.
The Grand Old Opry. The power of this place to make a star is almost unimaginable.
Gaylord Opryland Hotel and Resort. No caches but there is 1,800 rooms and over 9 acres under roof and they even have a tour boat ride *inside* :shock:. Even if you don’t stay here (it IS expensive) you have to see it and be sure to bring your camera and your good walking shoes.
Fort Negley in Nashville. You need to stop all along the way and read the plaques to get the real picture of how this place was built for the Union Army.
Nashville *period* Old section or new, it doesn’t matter where you are, you are in the middle of some great American history and some great American music.
Loretta Lynn's Kitchen. A simple cache along I-40 but the chicken is **great**(pass on what they are calling banana pudding)
PS. I found less then 50% of the caches I searched for in the Nashville area. Those cache owners are tough on old folk. Wow!

Return to “Geocaching Adventures”