New Mexico balloon ride & geocaching adventure - THE END

Stub a toe or find a fake mole down a 6ft hole? Tell us about it.
BackpacknJack
Host

New Mexico balloon ride & geocaching adventure - THE END

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:46 pm

I got back home at 7:30pm last night, just 8.5hrs short of a one week 2,062mi long Hot Air Balloon ride and Geocaching trip from Benton, AR (where CowboyFloyd hangs his hat) to Albuquerque, NM.
We slipped in between winter storms and back out again just in time to avoid more bad weather. According to the local news the roof of a mall north of ABQ collapsed because of heavy snow and because of more heavy snows headed into the area I was not able to get to the oldest cache in New Mexico for my 500th find as I had planed so we stopped caching in Albuquerque (to avoid the bad weather that was headed there the next day) and cached on our way back home. Albuquerque is a great city to visit with lots of things to see and do and there is a long list of great places to visit along this route and some great caching too but I will give you a short list of what "I" think were the most notable geocaches because of location, and/or containers etc.
The Grotto on Route 66 [GCMDEJ] You will need to turn off your flash to get pictures of the inside).
The whole series of "Mother Road #..." You get to drive short sections of Old Route-66.
Cache - Travel Bug Mini Hotel [GCZFJB] The drive along this stretch and the container are worth the effort.
Dinner Time [GCY7N2] Be sure to check out more of the area's sculptures. *Really fun stuff*.
No More Gas [GC13P2Y] Be sure to read the plaque and watch the Chuckers and Prairie Dogs play.
Like Father Like Son [GC12VGC] You will love the container.
Old Route 66 @ Moriarty [GC16JQT] Be sure to get there before they close the gate so you can go inside. We did not. :(
Plains Pioneers [GCP5BQ]
Deep Blue Cache [GC93C1] An absolute *MUST SEE*
Girl Scouts Ferris-Wheel [GCYZ4T] Check out the hand work of the Ferris wheel where the cache is located.
Where The Buffalo Roam [GCZ3K] If you decide to eat at the restaurant here the food is really great but I give you this caution - the portions are *HUGE*
Cadillac Ranch [GCG71X] Yep - this is the same one you've read about and seen in all the pictures and movies. Graffiti is welcomed.

It was a great trip and I certainly enjoyed being able to spend the whole week with my brother (that rat hit me with snow balls :shock: ) but after thousands of miles and thousands of dollars I still say Arkansas is the best place I have ever traveled and the best place I have ever cached - bar none.
In my opinion there were lots more great caches other then just those on this short list and the locations worth seeing on your way to these would fill a book or at least all the room on your camera but I will close this trip and say [THE END] but looking forward to reading about any of your "outdoors", "out of state", "out geocaching" stories that you are willing to share.
BackpacknJack & (tired of being BPNJ's navigator) CowboyFloyd
------------------
In the words of CowboyFloyd - "Keep love in your heart, a song on your lips, and your eyes wide open."
------------------
Last edited by BackpacknJack on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
dlyle
Very Active Poster

Postby dlyle » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Sounds like you two guys had a great time!

But in the immortal words of Dorothy, "There's no place like home!"

I know I always appreciate home after a good trip. :lol:
A man's got to know his limitations. . .
Dirty Harry

Return to “Geocaching Adventures”