Stub a toe or find a fake mole down a 6ft hole? Tell us about it.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:50 pm

I noticed after my last caching outing that I had reached 799 and thought that since I had noticed a milestone for a change I should do something special about it.
My original plan had been to find the Gorilla Stash, the oldest active cache in Arkansas, but crummy weather made me decide to stay closer to home.

I still wanted something hard though so I thought I'd try a difficulty 5 cache that would also fill in one of my squares for the Well Rounded Cacher series. Difficulty 5, terrain 1, not many of those out there, but there was one and it was one that has nagged at me for a while. The Graduating Cache '04

I had solved four of the clues when I first saw the listing a year or more ago, but two were beyond me. I even asked some engineering friends and they couldn't answer them either (structural engineers.) The best they could do was to tell me that dirac_delta was a useage specific function and without that, there was little I could do....or was there.

Taking a new track today I started eliminating the 100 possible places the cache could be. They could only be spread out over an area a mile long and 1/10th of a mile wide. Half of those locations were geographically improbable, such as the far side of the interstate from the listed coordinates. Another dozen or so were inside buildings. I punched in the other 30 and went looking. Many of the remaining spots were out in the middle of the parking lot with no-place to hide. I found it in the third spot I actually stopped to search.

#800, and one more step on the WRC series!
BackpacknJack
Host

Re: #800

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:30 am

ar_kayaker wrote: I had solved four of the clues...there was little I could do....or was there.
Taking a new track today I started eliminating the 100 possible places the cache could be. They could only be spread out over an area a mile long and 1/10th of a mile wide. I found it in the third spot I actually stopped to search.

Impressive! :shock: Mind if we start calling you "AK_Holmes" now??? :)
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:11 pm

It was actually made bunches easier by being in an urban setting with a terrain of 1. It sort of limits the possible hiding spots.

Now the new puzzle I have in mind might just work people over. The part I'm still working on is how to make an ammo can a difficulty 5 to find even after you have the coordinates....

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:56 pm

ar_kayaker wrote: The part I'm still working on is how to make an ammo can a difficulty 5 to find even after you have the coordinates....AK

Not many people (actually none that I know of) have studied and experimented with ammo can cammo techniques or ammo can hiding more then I have and I think I have a solution that will make it a 4-5 even with good coords. If you are still interested I'll tell you about it when I get back.

Return to “Geocaching Adventures”