Where did it go?

Discussions about caching in General.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Where did it go?

Postby Q » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:17 am

1... I load caches kinda old style. Move them into a map program individually then load all into my unit. Don't have a palm thingy or stuff.

2.... I put in bunches on the road and in Lake Charles for a visit to the inlaws over the weekend. Rain kept me from doing the big hunt I had in mind... sitting, drinking and doin football ain't my thing.

Here is the question. I loaded last week a cache called Blue Poke 9, did not record the gx???? number. I found it...after splainin what I was doing to the campus cop. So when I went to log it, it does not show up??? Not mia or archived just gone??? I saved all my waypoints before loading this batch and it is not there... would have been on this list if it were an old waypoint in my unit. Weird... do do do do....... geo zone
Q2
grzz51
Top Rank Poster

Postby grzz51 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Q, were you in Lake Charles LA?
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Yes. I loaded many caches in my gps before I left. This cache was on the list with those.

I tried to log it after returning home. It ain't there no mo on the google map page.
Q2
grzz51
Top Rank Poster

Postby grzz51 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:36 pm

MMMmmmmmm, must be the phantom moving cache that you found :?
grzz51
Top Rank Poster

Postby grzz51 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:38 pm

If you still have the coords you might try the Lon/Lat option on finding a cache.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 pm

I didn't find that cache name or anything that even looked like it on GC "Advanced Search" or Google. Sometimes you can find an archived cache if the Google Bot as found a log for it but nada on this one. If you will come out of the Cave Man days and stop using those stone tablets for note pads you would have the GC number. :roll:
> Ebay: Palm Pilot- Used - $25.00 - 0 bids <
Actually :) if you still have the file in GPX format you can load it onto GSAK and read all about it. I believe even the LOC files have the GC number or if you did a PQ you can go back to your GC account and view it again (if you left the setting at default - "uncheck" instead of delete) to get the info you need.
PS. you can't buy much ink and paper for $25 (my Palm VIIx cost $9.95) so a used palm is a good deal. If your OS is Vista you will need one of the newer ones that sell for about $40-$50 on Ebay.
PPS. Just think, one FTF prize on the $100Mouse Hunt, or the second place prize.....or even the third place prize could bring you out into the light with the rest of us geeeeeeeeky geofolk so I'm root-n for ya "Q".
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:49 pm

The coord search gave me the same info. One I did not and one I did find almost in site of each other. no blue guy

Yep, Bakjak, very stone age, techno wise anyhow. I print nothing out. I just copy paste waypoints into Garmin mapsource, then load the bunch into my gps.

I did get the send to gps happening, so that will help.

It is frustrating to be there then get home and read logs and realize how close I was but did not make the find. With the other hints it could have happened. It would help to have them along.

This one tho... the weird thing. I found the little blue thing hanging in the bush. Signed it. Now no listing..... I didn't dream it up.
Q2
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:07 pm

Well here is one more tip then I'm out of ideals. Check the logs for the ones you did log and take notes of others who found caches near your ghost cache. Go to their profiles and check their cache finds to see if they have logged the blue ghost cache you saw. If-n you done seed it than maybe some-un else done seed it to and you can cipher from their logs what numbers ya need to join tha Blue Poke Ghost Cache Club. Good Luck to Ya!
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:57 am

Ha, Bakjak...you da man. Went to one of the most common names I had seen in that area and kept scrolling thru his 400 some odd logs. wah..la

Blue's Baby Poke (#9) GC18KDW

Sent the owner a note and told him where I found it. He had archived it. It still let me log it tho.

Now another one I saw but did not wade hi water to get to. Started raining hard again while I was looking for a stick or something to retrieve. I sent a note to that guy, but did not sign his log. Wonder if I oughta log that one?
Q2
grzz51
Top Rank Poster

Postby grzz51 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:41 am

Way to go Q, I knew you'd figure a way :lol:

Return to “General Geocaching”