Phone a friend... contacting the owner... what to do?

Discussions about caching in General.
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Phone a friend... contacting the owner... what to do?

Postby JuggoPop » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:18 pm

There are a couple of hids out there that are supposed to be easy. Maybe I am just not as good at finding these things as I am at making fake mushrooms... who knows.

Here is my situation... I go to a spot, can't find anything... take my family back and still we come up empty. I watch the log to see if anyone finds it... and some 5 year old finds it. So I go back, I still come up short.

Then I dig into the logs looking for someone with too big of a mouth to give me a clue. Go back, nothing... Come back to the PC and see that 4 more people have found it.

I then ask, the owner for help... and get no response.

These situations, while they don't happen too often, do happen to me and I hate to give up on them. Even more so, when they are near my home town and I pass by the area often.

I guess now I am wondering, what is the best course of action? Getting help from another geocacher takes the fun out of it... but when you spend so much time "over thinking" and "over hunting" the same spot... is there a point where I should just beg someone else to help me with clues?

What are your thoughts?
Image Brian
dlyle
Very Active Poster

Postby dlyle » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:50 pm

It's okay to ask! :)

My $0.02.
A man's got to know his limitations. . .
Dirty Harry
howmuchmoore
Very Active Poster

Postby howmuchmoore » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:56 pm

You may contact others that have found it and tell them you situation.
I'm sure that they would give you better clues.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:44 pm

I haven't used the Phone-A-Friend feature and have not been a Phone-A-Friend but I have been emailed lots of times and asked for help in finding some of my caches.
That is a great part about geocaching, you can do it almost any way you want, except for a few safety rules in cache placement. There are those who seem to use P-A-F almost exclusively and seem to have just as much fun as anyone else and have logged over a thousand finds and then there are those like me who still have no clue where "Skinny Mini" is and probably never will but still think it is fun looking for it when I'm in the area. :roll:
We have not done a scientific poll on the subject here but so far it seems to be 100% saying if you want to ask - ask and don't worry about it.
PS. Maybe your problem is just that your much taller then a 5 year old. :wink:

Return to “General Geocaching”