Rechargeable Batteries

Discussions about caching in General.
BackpacknJack
Host

Rechargeable Batteries

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 pm

NiMH Rechargeable Batteries that hold a charge for a year!
Our game/sport is mobile so we depend on portable devices that depend on energy from batteries, either permanent /fixed rechargeable batteries like in the iPAQ or replaceable ones like AA’s or AAA’s in a GPS or Palm Pilot so I thought news about some better batteries may be of interest to the general geocaching public.

I have a lot of mobile/portable devices so I go through a lot of batteries and because I’m environmentally conscious (not because I’m just a tight-wad :oops: ) I use rechargeable batteries in everything they are practical in. The short coming of rechargeables is they bleed down (lose their charge) when not in use so when you need them they may be down. Now for the good news.

There is now a new NiMH ( Nickel-Metal Hydride) battery that will (or so they claim) hold a charge for up to a year and they even come *pre-charged*. They cost a little more (who would have figured that one huh?), I just paid $12.97 for 4 Duracell AA’s at Wal-Mart but I think this will finally end my having to buy bricks of Alkaline batteries for those things that don’t get used all that often so aren’t charged every week or so. I have some rechargeable AA’s that I have been using since 2002 and they still work even in the high-tech devices (some cameras now request at least NiMH) and they have saved me a fortune plus no dead batteries to recycle. It will take some time for me to replace all my batteries (did I tell you that some have lasted me since 2002?) but these will be replaced with the new “Up to 365 day” batteries. I think this is a great improvement to our portable power needs and thought you would like to know.
Last edited by BackpacknJack on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BackpacknJack
Host

A good rechargebale battery tip

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Here is a rechargeable battery tip that I learned years ago and it continues to serve me well.
When you take them out of the package use a Sharpie to write the date on them. You are never supposed to mix batteries, old with new etc., and now that so many have differing mAh rattings you don't want to even mix them by brand, even new with new. As they get older they will not hold a charge as long so at the end of the discharge cycle you may end up with only one or two that still have a charge so use the same aged batteries even with full charges. Old with new, weak with strong, etc. may cause damage. It is best, necessary, maybe even imperative in some of our high tech devices that the batteries all have the same amount of charge left in them so mark them by month plus year and don't mix them. You may be glad you did.

Return to “General Geocaching”