The "at home" database

Discussions about caching in General.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

The "at home" database

Postby ar_kayaker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:35 pm

For those of you who like to keep your GSAK current by dowloading regular PQ's there is a method I came across on the TN geocachers message board that works better than the method I was using.

I did have 10 seperate PQs covering different zones across the state with some overlap and that worked for a while, but thanks to some (excessively) prolific hiders and certain high concentration areas there were some gaps in my data base. Basically when the PQ hit the cache dense area it reached the 500 cache limit and effectively shrunk the area covered.

The TN cachers use a time based PQ to limit their searching, making it impossible to have overlap and impossible for new caches to appear in the older PQ (although some could disappear if they got archived.)

I now have 7 PQs that are garunteed to cover every active cache in the state. The first covers every cache (I haven't found) hidden before June 2005. and the others go from there as follows:

January 1, 2000 - May 31, 2005 494
June 1, 2005 - March 31, 2006 456
April 1, 2006 - November 30, 2006 463
December 1, 2006 - April 30, 2007 465
May 1, 2007 - August 25, 2007 474
August 26, 2007 - November 30, 2007 410
Decemeber 1, 2007 - current 411

These are my numbers for unfound caches in each date period, if you do this you'll have to adjust a little depending on how many caches you've found and whether or not you want to include ones you've already found. But this should cover the whole state with no more than eight PQ's even if you include ALL the active caches.

I figure on updating the more recent caches at least once a week and pulling the full set at the start of each month. That way my laptop has the most recent data of active caches when I head out.

AK
cupstack
Very Active Poster

Postby cupstack » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:21 am

I've been doing this for several months and it works great.

However, once a cache is archived, it will not show up in those PQ results. I go back through my GSAK database and manually review the caches that have not been updated within the past couple of months (based on the "last gpx file"); bookmark each of them that have been archived at geocaching.com and run a PQ on the new bookmark list. This part is a little tedious but worth the effort.
flannelman

Postby flannelman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Since I have been limited in my caching area I have just been downloading PQ's for the areas I normally cache and then deleting all of the old info out of gsak when I load the new PQ. I have a dbase set up for each area I cache so I know exactly what PQ goes to what dbase. Once I get time to cache more areas I'll adopt the method you described. It sounds like it works great!!
cupstack
Very Active Poster

Postby cupstack » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:08 pm

I will be discussing GSAK and some of the things you can do with it at the Burns Park Cache Bash in April.

Return to “General Geocaching”