milestones

Discussions about caching in General.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

milestones

Postby ar_kayaker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:06 am

As I creep up on 800 I realise that that number 1000 isn't really that far away. Based on my average find rate I should hit it before the year is out and I'm wondering which cache in the state is interesting enough for me to go out of my way to make it #1000. Or out of state for that matter if it is really cool.

So far I haven't bothered keep close watch on my numbers to do something special for milestones like 100 or 500, but 1000 seems like it deserves something....

Any suggestions?

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:55 pm

You've already done "Gorilla Stash" (the oldest in Arkansas) I suppose so I would suggest "Mingo" (the oldest in Kansas and the world) for an out of state cache, or some other oldest cache like "Where Eagles Roost" Oklahoma, etc for an out of state cache. Now being an adventuresome rascal, and looking for a momentous Local Cache you could go for "The infamous travel Bug Prison" :)
If you are looking for caches with great scenery and places well worth visiting there are hundreds of them in Arkansas. Sort of the ultimate cache to show you haven't neglected any Arkansas caches would be to finish and log the "DeLorme" challenge as #1,000.

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed here carry no guarantee expressed or implied, should be taken with a grain of salt, may not represent the opinions of management, may not represent the opinions of any sane person living or dead, your mileage and that of others may vary greatly.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Using the Delorme Challenge sounds like a pretty good idea for #1000. I was planning on filling in the rest of the maps over the summer anyway so I should have a cache from every page by the time I get there.

I'm looking at the Gorilla Stash as #900 if I can work it out so that I am close to 900 when a good caching weekend comes up.

AK
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:30 pm

Well I'm down to the last 7 before hitting #1000. The DeLorme is already done (around 850 I think) and I'm not sure what cache deserves #1000.

I had considered the Gorrila Stash, but the timing isn't right for a four hour trip to Mountain Home this weekend. I could hold off a week or two but I've got a four day weekend and doubt I can avoid picking up 7 caches with that many free days....

I'd like it to be something scenic and/or difficult like the Sugarloaf Island cache I did for #900, but I don't know any good caches that fall in that category.

Suggestions?
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:23 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:Well I'm down to the last 7 before hitting #1000. The DeLorme is already done (around 850 I think) and I'm not sure what cache deserves #1000.

I had considered the Gorrila Stash, but......

Suggestions?

I thought you had already found Gorilla Stash but You've gotten some of the big ones so you are left with what you are left with. I've gotten waaay to close to my goal and had to stop caching like when I took CowboyFloyd to Albuquerque for the balloon ride and planed New Mexico's oldest for my #500 milestone but the snow storms kept us out of that area. I just got the number I could and stopped one short until I could get to Tennessee's oldest. My plan is to go and get the location of the very first geocache for my 1,000th but I'm not above adjusting my plans and making it #2,000 if I should be able to cache that long and log that many finds.

If you want to make 1,000 very special you can drive from here to East of Colby Kansas and log "Mingo" (it was my #300th) , the oldest cache in the world in only one day. Plus you have time to pick up a few caches and see a few sights along the way. On the way back you can swing by Tulsa and pick up the oldest in Oklahoma too (I got that one on the way up for #299). All done in 2 days, no sweat, and you even have time to scoot over into Colorado and find a few caches.

The Arkansas State Parks challenge is supposed to be a whopper of a challenge but I have not checked into it at all. And "The Infamous Travel Bug Prison" has been waiting a long time for some one - any one - to make it all the way to the back and log the find.

Some think events are special enough to log them for their milestone finds but there are no close events that I know of this weekend. Some cachers just let the chips fall where they may but I like making my milestone finds some place special (the oldest in a different State is the goal for me). That is the only time my numbers are what it is all about and I do that to show some respect for the pioneers of the game and those who have been keeping caches going the longest. I figure if a cache is that old, has lasted that long, a lot of things must have been done right.

PS. I haven't had a hot date since Lincoln was President so I don't claim to know much about it but I don't think those smilies are loggable. :roll:
B62GTAWK
New Poster

Postby B62GTAWK » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:33 pm

I don't know what you have done or not. But what about The Glory Hole, Keefe falls, Falling water falls, Bridal Vale Falls, It's all Falling together Now, Big Black Bertha, Blow out Bluff if your interested I can come up with some GC#'s.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 pm

All good suggestions, though I've already hit several of them. They are on my favorites list. I ended up going to the Winding Stairs for #1000. Partly because I knew it would eb a scenic hike from previous trips down the river by kayak and partly because I'd DNF'd it on more than one of those kayak trips.

I'll be keeping some of those others in mind for 1100, 1200, 1300...

I doubt I could wait for #2000 before making a go at many of them, especially with the fall hiking season in full swing.

AK

Return to “General Geocaching”