To archive or not to archive?

Discussions about caching in General.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

To archive or not to archive?

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:20 am

I am working at replacing a cache (GCXYF3) that has gone MIA and am unsure how it should affect the listing becuase the replacement will have to be moved by at least 50 feet, probably closer to 200-300 to find a new hiding place thanks to some destruction of the terrain by loggers. It will also be a new container of course.

Cache, location, and camo will all have to be significantly changed, but the cache involves some serious getting to in the first place and that won't change. Should I archive the old one or just update the coordinates?

AK
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:42 am

My newbie opinion on the subject is if the container and location change enough that it would be a different experence for new hunters compared to those who have already logged it, then as a cacher on the hunt I'd rather it be listed as a new cache.

Could reference the old one in the description so that people can view the old log.

Of course I don't know what the normal standard for this process is... but I am interested in what you decide to do.
Image Brian
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:11 pm

The hunt experience as a whole won't change much. It is the same swim/wade/boat across the river and then a hike up a hill to a clearing. The cache is just going to end up on the other side of the clearing now.

AK
JuggoPop
Very Active Poster

Postby JuggoPop » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:11 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:The hunt experience as a whole won't change much.

I guess at that point, my thoughts fall back to the container and placement. Is it going to be more difficult to find? (better camo) or is it going to end up no different than before as far as that part is conserned.

I think of it this way... If it was harder for me to find then those before me, I wouldn't want them gettting credit for the same hunt.

On the other hand, if it's almost the same (the main challange being the river, etc) then as a cacher I wouldn't want people being able to claim the same cache twice only because it moved 50 feet.

I guess taking the challange out of the picture and taking into account only the location from version #1 and version #2... from the way you present it, its the same challange all the way around, and probably should only be updated and not archived.

That's my thoughts on it. Hope it's some help to you. :)
Image Brian
idratherbehiking
New Poster

Postby idratherbehiking » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:40 am

ar_kayaker wrote:The hunt experience as a whole won't change much. It is the same swim/wade/boat across the river and then a hike up a hill to a clearing. The cache is just going to end up on the other side of the clearing now.

AK

If this is the case I feel that the original cache should just be updated. I don't think I would want to go back to the same area just to find a cache because it had been moved a couple hundred feet even if it was a new container. Just my 2 cents.

Return to “General Geocaching”