Numbers?

Discussions about caching in General.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Numbers?

Postby Q » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:22 am

Am I correct that if your log is deleted you get an email letting you know? I thought I read that somewhere. Also, if a cache goes away.. archived?.. is that credit gone form your number? I 'spose if one had hundreds or thousands of finds this would go unnoticed. But as we were excited about aproaching 100 our number of finds on the site went back down???? Just wondering what was happening here. We often spend an afternoon caching but may only do 1-3 cuz the kids like "real" cans better than micros.
BackpacknJack
Host

Re: Numbers?

Postby BackpacknJack » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:39 pm

Q wrote:Am I correct that if your log is deleted you get an email letting you know? I thought I read that somewhere. Also, if a cache goes away.. archived?.. is that credit gone form your number? I 'spose if one had hundreds or thousands of finds this would go unnoticed. But as we were excited about aproaching 100 our number of finds on the site went back down???? Just wondering what was happening here. We often spend an afternoon caching but may only do 1-3 cuz the kids like "real" cans better than micros.

All about the stat numbers - or at least my experience is this:
I deleted a duplicated posting on one of my caches and they got an email from GC that I had deleted it.
If you are a bush kicker and every cache you have ever found went MIA and was archived, your stats will still show the finds.
I don't know why your stats are shrinking but I would do a search on your GC account and see what does not match your own memory/records and why.

I "don't put a lot of store" in those stat numbers because only the owner of them knows what they actually mean and I only pay attention to mine as a personal record. Examples: If you archive all 50 of your caches then resubmit these exact same caches under different names your stats will now show you own 100 caches. If you post 5 events and cancel all but 1 the stat numbers show you held/hosted 5 events. If you log your own caches your stats will show them as finds. If you were to take an imaginary trip across the country and log 400+ finds with only "TFTC", I doubt very seriously if you would be challenged on more then 1 or 2 of them and I wouldn't bet on that many challenges. Think these examples are "really far fetched"? Don't bet on it.
Q wrote:but may only do 1-3 cuz the kids like "real" cans better than micros.
Hopefully the Corps will get the nature trails fixed in the Redfield area soon and you can drive down and let the kids fill up your trunk with goodies. Most of my caches down there say take what you want and leave nothing.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm

I'm not big on stats either, though I do keep track of mine as personal milestones.

I've actually never noticed any change to my found stats, even the one time a guy deleted a find because he didn't like the fact that I called his cache a PNG in the log. I don't remember what my total "finds" were that day, but I do remember that it hadn't changed when I went back to re-log it the next day as "TFTC" and I was torn about whether or not to just log it as a note instead of a find so my numbers wouldn't be off.

To this day I have assummed that my find count is off by one thanks to that incident.

AK
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:06 pm

I dunno, maybe I was just off in the brain. Main reason I noticed was the kids getting excited about getting closer to 100 finds. Piddly compared to some but oh well... we have fun.

First thing I noticed going back through memory was that several we have found are no longer there. That is why I asked. Maybe I was just wrong or going by counts I never logged on the site. I have gotten emails about caches before but never saying I was deleted or anything... 1 about a DNF and another about my copperhead bite last summer.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 am

Q wrote: and another about my copperhead bite last summer.
:shock:

Return to “General Geocaching”