coords when hiding.

Discussions about caching in General.
Q
Top Rank Poster

coords when hiding.

Postby Q » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:10 pm

Getting it together to hide a few. What is the normal M.O. for making sure you are getting the best readings possible?... that is, how do I decide what to post? Do ya just take a reading and hope it's good or......??
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:32 pm

Go in from as many different directions as you can and use the average. If there is only one or two ways to get to it let the GPS settle down before you make you final decision. Well that is MY advice and I’m sticking to it.
PS. If you plan to place a large surveyor flag, or a large arrow :arrow: at the hiding spot to point the way then the coords will not need to be all that exact and you can relax. :lol:
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:02 am

BackpacknJack wrote:surveyor flag, or a large arrow :arrow: at the hiding spot to point the way then the coords will not need to be all that exact and you can relax. :lol:

I thnk a "hint" will do! :wink:
cupstack
Very Active Poster

Postby cupstack » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:17 pm

I will tend to walk around the area, like BPNJ suggests. Then I will set my GPSr to mark the waypoint and then select Average (set the GPSr on the ground and it will take a reading every second) and let it average its reading for a few minutes, then select Save. If your GPSr does not have an Average feature, then walk away from the cache site and back to the cache site from several directions and either save the coordinates each time or write them down and then figure the average.
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:07 pm

I'll take an initial reading and save it as a POI. Then walk a hundred feet or so away and use the GOTO function to lead me back. Once back at GZ I'll make a note on that same POI how far away I am. I'll repeat that a few times and then take an average of the best ones.

p.s. I like BPNJ's idea. I think orange spray paint would work great :lol:
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:23 am

OEnavigator wrote:I'll take an initial reading and save it as a POI. Then walk a hundred feet or so away and use the GOTO function to lead me back. Once back at GZ I'll make a note on that same POI how far away I am.

Great point! If you want to know if you did good or did bad just use your own coords to find the cache a few different times during clear days plus cloudy days. You will learn aaaalot by doing this and can even figure out where cachers may be going wrong in searching for this cache. I have one where the coords were exact but everyone was going way off base so I changed the coords to about 15ft south so they wouldn't go into the trees and it helped them a lot.
PS. I have hundreds of surveyor flags if you start to run low. :)
howmuchmoore
Very Active Poster

Postby howmuchmoore » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:24 pm

HEY!!! That orange spray paint idea is a GREAT one. Not having done this for very long, I can say that I quickly lose interest in a cache if the coords don't get me reasonably close to where the cache is. As far as setting the coords, the hints that they have given seem to be very helpful in the event that I would do a hide.

Thanks for your time.

howmuchmoore
dlyle
Very Active Poster

Postby dlyle » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm

I found a hide near the base of Mt. Nebo last year that the owner had to put orange flagging in a tree above the cache so folks could find it. . . . Well, I could see how it could have been very hard to find without it 8)

I used the average function on my gps and let it average about 300 times before I used the coords on my hide. I like the idea though, of using a POI and going back to it from several directions.

It took me a while though to figure out seasons, trees, and gps maker seem to affect the coordinates of a location.

dlyle
A man's got to know his limitations. . .
Dirty Harry
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Some days my color legend puts me right on or feet away, sometimes I am 30 40 feet away. Just makes me wonder.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:25 am

:oops: Went looking for how to do the averaging on my gps.... duh!?!?! Right there. Talked to a property owner yesterday. Cross my fingers.

Return to “General Geocaching”