permission

Discussions about caching in General.
Q
Top Rank Poster

permission

Postby Q » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:59 am

Have we talked about this before? I am getting stalled once agian at permission. 2 Of the owners I know.

Clinton area is sadly deficient of cache. I once again have asked a few folks about putting caches. I get a we'll see attitude that with my parents meant, go away I don't like this.

What does one present to a muggle qualified landowner to win them to the acceptance side? I have a lot of land but to be honest do not see any of it spectacularly worth the 3 mile hike and drive off the beaten path to do a cache here. Some more accesable friendly areas in town I get stopped at. Have the cans Woodwalker got me but there they are....

Ideas?????
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:22 am

Well you have an awful lot of national forest land not far to your west. There are several spots near Scotland that would be good for an ammo can sized cache, but are outside the area I could maintain one. I'm not so sure what there is in the way of trails since I'm usually in my boat when I'm there.

Does Clinton have city parks? If so get with whoever is the parks director and feel them out on it, then if that doesn't work out go over their head to the mayor or a city alderman/councilman.

Or you could follow some of what I've seen posted on the GC forums and just assume since geocaching is a public activity and there aren't any laws against it then you have free rein in a public park (provided you aren't vandalizing anything to place your cache.) One I saw in a small town one day was a magnetic altoids tin painted to match a newspaper machine it was stuck to the back of right on a public sidewalk. I really doubt the hider bothered to ask for specific permission from the newspaper company and whoever is in charge of sidewalks before placing it.

In some ways that's not too bad of a way to go, at least at first. Once you have a few caches in the area you can present it as "see, these have been here a year with no harm..." But if you follow that method, be sure to start small and only in places that won't cause a major stink if the cache gets found. (RR tracks and bridges = bad place for ammo cans....)

Public parks are always a good first choice anyway. Park departments want to attract visitors, it's part of their mission and the more visitors they get, the more funding they get. The same is true with libraries. Libraries even have the added advantage of the fact that they generally have people of a slightly more intellectual bent in charge and are less leery of "new-fangled-ideers." When I first approached the Malvern Parks Dept. about placing a cache there, they were real leery of the idea and only let me place one cache in one park. Six months later they had no problems when I went to place more and another six months later they were asking me if I would place some more in the new park expansion.

AK
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:40 am

That may be the deal. Patience

Part of what I got was that yes, the city maintains this as a park but the land belongs to a company. So I got the back and forth. Guess that's how my kids feel. Go ask your mom. Go ask your dad.
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:22 am

I've only approached one land/business owner about placing a cache. I gave him a brochure and some printed newspaper articles about geocaching. I even included a Geo Creed handout.
I also strayed away from terms like "cache."
It took about three weeks before I got an answer. I spoke with him about it once or twice a week. The third week he was asking me when I was going to place it! I also keep them updated on how many visits the cache has had and give him copies of the online logs. He gets a kick out of trying to see if he can notice anyone looking.
I hope that helps. I just don't have a lot of experience yet. Good luck!
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:23 pm

I ask this question of almost everyone. How did you get permission to place that cache? The answer must be a highly regarded secret of international importance because it sure zips some lips. I specifically ask about cemetery caches and I even mention when trying to get permission that we are respectful enough of cemeteries that we even clean up abandoned ones sometimes (I worked weekends on one for about 3 years) but have yet to get the nod to place one cemetery cache. This seems to be one of the main subjects of conversation at a mouse hunt so you are not alone in asking How to get permission. I’ve been working on a lot more permissions and you could write a book on my efforts but I just keep hitting brick walls no matter how many articles I clip and bring with me. I’m thinking maybe candied apples and cotton candy instead of news paper articles would work better. Maybe that is why you see soooo many *so called* lame caches…that is all they could do.
My work bench is filling up, my phone book is filling up, my email address book is filling up, my car stays on empty, working on getting us more places to cache. Back when I did genealogy research and was hitting brick walls I would bring along a very pretty ex sister-n-law who had a memory for names like a steel trap. More doors would open and more folks were willing to talk then you would believe (the memory ?? the figure??) but she went and got married again so that ploy is out for getting cache placement permissions.
Seriously though it seems that working with someone you know works better then trying to convince a stranger that there is no catch, no hustle, and no added liability involved plus it seems a lot easer to get permission when talking to someone a little lower down the ladder. See someone mowing that area or picking up the trash then talk to them about it.

EDIT: Now that is some kind of funny. I was reading the response/quote below and saw where I had said "a little hoot down the ladder". What???
So I came back up here to re read what I had typed, man I hate that, then I realized the auto word sensor had nabbed me for typing (you will have to put this together yourself or it will nab me again :) ) "far -ther" down the ladder, and changed it to "hoot" (the replacement word) if you break it down into 2 words you will see why. :oops:
Last edited by BackpacknJack on Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlyle
Very Active Poster

Postby dlyle » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I suspect that there are many caches out there that are placed without proper permission. . . :shock:

Present company excluded of course. . .

(Flame suit on. . .)

dlyle
A man's got to know his limitations. . .
Dirty Harry
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Seriously though it seems that working with someone you know works better then trying to convince a stranger that there is no catch, no hustle, and no added liability involved plus it seems a lot easer to get permission when talking to someone a little hoot down the ladder. See someone mowing that area or picking up the trash then talk to them about it.

That's a good idea. It would be the groundskeepers or whomever that would end up discovering the cache anyway.

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I suspect that there are many caches out there that are placed without proper permission. . . Shocked

That's a safe bet. There is no way that most of the caches I've seen had permission. Especially urban ones. Has everybody heard about what happened in Sherwood?(I think that was where it happened)
I was talking to a Wal-Mart manager about geocaching and he had never heard of it. Funny, since how there are no less than three caches around the store?[/vent]
BPNJ brought up a good point about the response from other cachers on this topic. We should have a Permission section of the forums so that we could all post about our successes and failures when trying to obtain owner permission. With everyone pooling their experience, newbies(like me) could avoid common mistakes or methods that don't work. What do you guys think?
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:51 pm

dlyle wrote:Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I suspect that there are many caches out there that are placed without proper permission. . . :shock: dlyle

:roll:
---------
Shortest post ever
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:37 am

<tongue in cheek post>

If you are really desperate for a cemetary cache you could always buy a burial plot and give yourself permission. After all that makes you the owner.

Or maybe if you have a family member that owns a plot you could ask them. Of course if you have a family member that has already passed away in a cemetary they are a little hard to ask, but you could tell anyone that asks that you asked them before they passed away and if they want to dispute it that they can go find a medium to hold a seyance to check for themselves.

Then again do they still own it after they die? Wouldn't the kids inherit it? Though I'll grant you I've never heard of a cemetary plot listsed in a will. I can just see that... I bequeath my burial plot, with my corpse in it, to my oldest son.... Maybe it falls under the residuary estate.

AK
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:45 am

ar_kayaker wrote: Of course if you have a family member that has already passed away in a cemetary they are a little hard to ask,

silence is consent??
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:35 pm

BackpacknJack wrote:/... I’ve been working on a lot more permissions and you could write a book on my efforts but I just keep hitting brick walls no matter how many articles I clip and bring with me. I’m thinking maybe candied apples and cotton candy...../

If you would like to hear about my latest efforts in this area of permissions let me know and I will E you a short story.

Return to “General Geocaching”