Travel Bugs

Discussions about caching in General.
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Travel Bugs

Postby OEnavigator » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:54 pm

I have a question about the red jeep travel bugs. I've noticed that they tend to only be traded out of caches for other red jeeps. I also discovered a cache close by me where there are six bugs and you can only retrieve one if you leave one. I thought that TB's were not trade items or are these considered different for some reason? I was under the impression you were supposed to move them around. :?
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:39 pm

Maybe what you are seeing is just folks swapping Jeeps among friends.
---------
Here is a post I started some time back about TBs that I thought worth dragging out and finally posting. Maybe there is something in it of value.
--------
TBs and their problems.

TB's have a goal or mission or quest or what ever the owner wants you to do with it. It is up to the owner as to what they want it to do or where they want it to go. Caches are the property of the cache owner and they can stipulate what they want put in them or how they want cachers to treat that cache ie, trade TBs one for one, swap CDs two for one, drop Pet toys only, trade coins etc.(theme caches). I have caches where you are requested to take something and leave nothing but what you actually do with any of said TBs and/or caches is up to you.
The Jeep TBs I sent out were quickly hijacked to other States and traded among friends until the contest ended and the Jeep and other prizes were awarded. If you watch Jeep Tbs (I keep a file on them) you will see them stay in the same circle and mostly they are traded among friends at breakfast meetings or events and they are never released back into the wild. I have a TB that reached it’s goal and was almost back home when someone said no way it is going back home so they took it to California with them and then it’s next stop was New Zealand.
We keep saying that is the nature of Tbs but I don't think that is true at all…..I think that is the nature of some people. At the GC forums you will find a TB cemetery where you put your TB to rest and just forget about it because it is gone. It didn’t die, it may have actually been lost in a tornado, it may have been found by a muggle who was just a thief but most likely some unscrupulous person/cacher kept it…just because they could. I keep track of lots of TBs and Jeeps, I think it is a good learning tool.
If you see a TB in a cache read it’s goal and if you can help it out OK. If you don't know it's goal but would maybe like to be a part of it's history then you can log that you "discovered it" and just leave it where you found it. I have tried to help some bugs I’ve found by placing them in zip bags along with a short note about their goal because their owners didn't attach anything to tell you want to do with them. Some it helped a little and some it didn’t help at all.
---------------
Would yall like to have a TB topic added to the site? A place where you can brag or whine or discuss Tbs or geocoins or pathtags?? They are indeed a big part of caching.
Last edited by BackpacknJack on Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:26 pm

Thanks Jack.
The cache in question is GC14CRJ

I even looked at the history of the Red Jeep bugs and you can actually see where they have an organized system of moving them amongst each other before placing them in this cache. I just thought it was unfair. Especially since there are a loy of new cachers in this area(like me) who have never participated in this contest and it's ruining their fun. They actually go out and find these jeeps and bring them there. I have the opportunity, if I'm lucky, to pick up another jeep and I'm scared to release it in this area because it will most likely end up there. Which ruins my fun.
But I guess your right.I still ha ve a lot to learn about this game and maybe I just don't understand how it's really played.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:19 am

If the contest is over, maybe they will let it be since they no longer have need to try and skew the odds of winning a real jeep in their favor.

I still haven't seen a red jeep. I wasn't paying atttention to the forums when they came out and so didn't get to request one to release this year.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:06 am

OEnavigator wrote:But I guess your right.I still have a lot to learn about this game and maybe I just don't understand how it's really played.

I think you know how to play the game right but some folks are going to play it differently when there is a free Jeep at stake. I was sent 5 white Jeeps to place "in my area" and I did. I didn't even log them to get my name in the pot for the free stuff and hoped that would be honest enough but the problem was I had all the caches "in my area" and I was worried that folks would think I was using them only for self promotion or was dropping them just before my friends got there. I made a trip all the way to Lake Village to place one just to see a Mississippi cacher come over and snatch it up for the sole purpose of taking it back to Mississippi (his words) and I had to make repeated trips to "Welcome to Magee" waiting for the cache to get low enough to hold the last Jeep (I seldom ever remove things from caches). The next year I received only one Jeep. Last year I wasn't sent any Jeeps at all so I guess honesty isn't as appreciated as I thought. (not everyone was as honest in handling their Jeeps as I was)
I think the Jeep promotion is great but it still needs some work to remove some of the slip in how it is played. I will not volunteer to place anymore and have never picked one up to log it. To each his own.

Return to “General Geocaching”