Warning David vs Goliath

Hey, it’s all about us.
B62GTAWK
New Poster

Warning David vs Goliath

Postby B62GTAWK » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Seems this cacher logged a bunch of caches in Morrilton with just "SL" after further checking by a couple of the cache owners the logs were not even signed. They are just logging caches from the computer. Let's not let people get away with this. Delete the logs if this happens.
B62
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:57 am

I wouldn't be too hasty with a mass deletion. There are people, myself included, that occasionally sign a log with a team name, but then log the cache under our own IDs.

When I cache with my sister and her kids we sign the logs as "Team MAC" even though there is no Team MAC account on GC. When I do that I always write in my online log "Signed as Team MAC while caching with the kids." but everyone may not bother doing that, especially if they are "power caching" with 100 PNG's a day on a road trip.

And then there is the question of who is it hurting? Logs are like a personal journal or photo album of the good, the bad, and the ugly that occurs while caching. Good for memories and little else. If someone is padding their numbers to impress their friends, that's pretty sorry that they need the ego boost, but there is little that deleting their logs will do to change that. It's not like there is a prize for the cacher with the most finds.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:45 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:.... It's not like there is a prize for the cacher with the most finds. AK

Except there are prizes and rewards and status for having high numbers. With over 1,000 finds you can be selected as a reviewer (Or so I’ve heard), you can get special door prizes at events like the one in Clarksville for having the most finds or the most hides (been there - seen it - didn’t win anything ; ) plus groups give golden painted ammo cans and coins and pins to those who have more then 1,000 finds. Even special edition reviewer coins are donated to those with high numbers. I donated a fully stocked large ammo can that I had spent many hours camouflaging to the Clarksville event just to see it almost go to a local cacher who claimed to have over 100 cache hides (actually had only about 30) but they were beat out by one cacher from Oklahoma who actually did have over 100 hides and I was glad because after all that work I would have been PO-ed to see it go to a liar with fake numbers.
I could see long ago, and have mentioned more then once, that a person could go on an imaginary cross country geocaching trip, log 1,000 finds and would probably only be questioned on maybe 2 *if any at all*. Maybe someone is trying it? I believe cachers pay way too much attention to another person’s cache find numbers without ever knowing how many of those were actually found, how many of those caches were muggled because of this cachers lack of stealth at running those numbers up higher, and how many of those were found only by using phone-a-friend and being guided to the hide (which is no find at all). I consider numbers a personal thing but understand that caching probably would not exist or be so successful without a way to display the number of your cache finds.
I do check my logs and compare them to the online logs but not every week, mostly when I update the container or replace the log. When on a mouse hunt scouting trip I log all finds with an alias like “MM22” or some other made up ID before the hunt so I don’t give away the secret location before posting time but I mention this in the online logs and have not been called on that so far. If I’m called on it I will just except it and place that owners caches on my ignore list, they are the owners and what ever they say goes. I’ve seen caches that say you must use only a sharpie to sign the log, I’ve seen caches that say you must make up a big lie about how you found the cache or your log will be deleted, I’ve seen caches that say if you use a copy-&-paste online log your cache find will be deleted and I’ve seen hides that say if you post just one of those “TFTC” logs your find will be deleted. According to what I understand from GC, as the cache owner you can delete what ever you want and except what ever you want, you’re the owner, it‘s up to you. Personally I don’t think there is anything wrong in a “TFTC” log, I just think they are in very poor taste just like using stickers on a nano log sheet. If someone signs as a team then post individually to get their own similey face it doesn’t bother me but if it was just a complete farce I would probably delete the find and except the badmouthing that probably will come later.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:37 am

Well for those that are all that concerned with the numbers and cheating to "win" sad little prizes at events all I can say is that I feel sorry for their empty little lives. If a person gets off on racking up big numbers to brag to their cohorts about, they should try pinball or video games. I hear you rack up scores in the millions pretty fast.

Oh, I might delete obviously fake logs if I come across them, but I'm not going to strain a vein worrying about it. Even if there are some prizes involved, and I suppose there are in some circles, what are those prizes really worth? Got a 1,000 finds coin with your name on it set on the mantle to remind you of all the caches you lied about finding? Does it make you feel good when you look at it and remember all the lies you told to get it? Sounds like a good time to me.....Not!

I hit 1,000 over the weekend, enjoyed the hike out to find it and will treasure the memory and feeling of accomplishment I got from finally finding that particular cache. I may, or may not, bother ordering a comemortive coin for it, but I can at least look back on the event without my conscience bothering me.

My only regret is the number of PNG's among the 1,000. Most urban micros and PNG's are like watching TV. You know it is mindless and bad for you, but when someone turns the set on (or hides the thing near where you happen to be) you just get sucked in..... Even then I can at least say I actually found them and signed the log for each and every one.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:54 pm

This "David vs Goliath" fake ID posted a find on one of my caches so I deleted it. The odd thing is I did not get a notify about the log to my cache. No matter what someone posts to your cache page you are notified but I only found this one by reading the cache page. :?:
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:35 am

I don't remember how it's done but there is a way to log a cache so that it won't report to the cache owner.

I think it involves typing in a slightly different http address when you go to log the cache, but I'm not sure. Never had a need for it.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:42 am

ar_kayaker wrote:I don't remember how it's done but there is a way to log a cache so that it won't report to the cache owner.

I think it involves typing in a slightly different http address when you go to log the cache, but I'm not sure. Never had a need for it.

AK

Well it seems that however they are doing it they are sharp enough to find a more productive way to express their anger with “Goliath” then to keep logging bogus finds. What are they after here, leave DNA at the cache site to prove you were there? No that would not work, you could have someone leave it for you like having someone sign the log for you or tell you where the cache is. Take a picture at every cache? I think GC is doing that now with Earth Caches (not sure, I don’t own any of those, I just read it. ???) but that would sure give a new dimension to micros and nanos. Anyway, there are lots of geocaching groups and websites where you can express your ideals (hey, GC has a forum also.) or you can fire up your own website and get your point across or at the very least explain more fully then posting a simple bogus “SL”. I don’t disagree with their point of view, don’t even know what it is, but I do respectfully disagree with their method of *non-expression*.
Maybe someone else knows what their angry about and what their proposed solution to the problem is, but having a thick skull I guess, I didn’t get all that much out of a bogus “SL”. Good luck to them in their quest, what ever that is.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:03 pm

I suppose people might use the "backdoor" to log a cache when they think the owner deleted their log maliciously. Like when some jerk around Sheridian deleted my log because I called his cache "perverted" with some reference to lifting skirts. He wasn't mad that I'd given away the "secret" to his hide, just that I had insulted it.

I didn't bother to go through the backdoor to re-log the cache. I just re-logged it the normal way with a one word log ("Found") and left it at that, but if he'd deleted my log again I might have snuck it back in to keep my find totals accurate.

I'll try not to get going on my opinion of skirt-lifters in general, but anyone who feels that their skirt-lifter is the greatest-cache-ever and is insulted by a log that says otherwise needs their head examined.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:33 pm

I remember seeing where D vs G posted that they were going to attend one of the events, don't remember which one, but does anyone know if they did?
Emtplatt13
New Poster

Postby Emtplatt13 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:57 am

Hey I was wondering about this guy as well... Another cacher emailed me about this person so I did some checking... Their numbers are unreal off the charts if they weren't all deleted. Their profile says they are a busy truck driver so what...from my POV you have to physically locate the cache just cause you are within 10 feet doesn't mean you have found it...
:twisted:
EMT

Return to “Geocaching in Arkansas”