Rude people

Discussions about Travel Bugs, Geo Coins, Path Tags, etc.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Rude people

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon May 07, 2007 10:00 pm

I had an unusual experience recently while trying to do a nice thing for someone. I picked up a TB that someone stuffed under a lampskirt and after logging it out of the cache I noticed that it had a goal than ended up taking it to Florida by 2008. Since I am going there this fall I e-mailed the owner through GC and asked if they'd rather I drop it and hope someone else would take it there sooner or that I keep it and bring it with me in the fall.

What I got back was a rude e-mail saying that I was a bad person for not dropping it back into a cache ASAP as per the GC.com rules.

I haven't bothered to go check, but the only rules regarding TB's I can remember seeing is that you log them before you drop them off someplace new and that they aren't yours to keep. Other than that I've always figured you should follow the TB's goals if you can.

After the e-mail I had an urge to find the hardest to get to, highest difficulty, seldom visited cache I could locate and drop the TB in it and not bother to log it in. I didn't of course, but it was tempting for a second or two. Instead I just dropped it into a random cache the next time I was out.

Has anybody else had an experience like that?

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon May 07, 2007 11:25 pm

Yep!
Say, have you been to any of the "Infamous travel bug prisons" like this one yet (GCG1ZA)? This may be a good time to do one. :twisted:
Seriously though most of the time I get great positive response from TB owners. It is the collectors of TBs that I don't take a liken to.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Thu May 10, 2007 8:29 am

I'm starting to take a dislike of events where people place TB's and just leave them there. The Burn's Park Bash has been over for almost two weeks and there are still more than a dozen TB's listed as being atthe park, one of which is mine.

If whoever has it doesn't log it out by tomorrow I'm going to list it as stolen...or at least missing since there isn't a stolen option.

AK
HercMaster
New Poster

Postby HercMaster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:19 am

For newcomers to geocaching, it's not always clear that when you pick up a TB at a cache you need to log TWO events, not just log the finding of the cache. They'll write "picked up the TB" in the cache log, but fail to log that fact on the TB section itself. Then the TB is still listed as being in the cache, of course.

What I do in that instance is write a very polite note to the geocacher who wrote "picked up the TB" in the cache log, explaining to them that they need to remember to log the TB pickup itself also, in addition to logging the finding of the cache. Usually they are relative newbies to Geocaching, and they just didn't know. Sometimes they email back, sometimes they don't. But often when I check the cache description again a couple of days later, sure enough, the TB is no longer listed as being there, so I conclude my email did the trick.

I find it's usually just a case of a newbie not knowing any better...

Return to “Travel Bugs and GeoCoins”