Coin manufactures

Discussions about Travel Bugs, Geo Coins, Path Tags, etc.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Coin manufactures

Postby ar_kayaker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:18 am

Has anyone on here had a geocoin made? I'm considering having one made, but am not sure who makes good coins and who is out to rip off the customer. Seems the pricing is pretty close on the ones that post their prices (between $5 and $6 per coin if you are ordeering the 250 minimum to get a custom icon) but I don't know how that translates with service and quality. Some break that down by cost per feature, others have a package deal, but it all seems to add up the same in the long run if you want a trackable coin.

AK
dentful1
Very Active Poster

Postby dentful1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:39 pm

I don't understand why coins cost $400 or so dollars (depending on what you put on it) to make just one coin. You would think their process to manufacturer your unique coin would involve the following.

1) Take design print from customer, scan print on computer program
2) Make sure all parameters of design fit coin accordingly
3) Clean up sketch on computer
4) Download sketch to CNC machine, mill out coin
5) Mail customer their coin

This should only take an hour to do if they have a good system going.

Contact the Arkansas State Parks guy, ExtremeTrek. He is on the AGA site. I believe they looked into getting coins made for a state park challenge. He should have a lot of info for you.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:17 am

dentful1 wrote:I don't understand why coins cost $400 or so dollars (depending on what you put on it) to make just one coin. You would think their process to manufacturer your unique coin would involve the following.

1) Take design print from customer, scan print on computer program
2) Make sure all parameters of design fit coin accordingly
3) Clean up sketch on computer
4) Download sketch to CNC machine, mill out coin
5) Mail customer their coin

This should only take an hour to do if they have a good system going.

Contact the Arkansas State Parks guy, ExtremeTrek. He is on the AGA site. I believe they looked into getting coins made for a state park challenge. He should have a lot of info for you.

When you get your machine set up let me know, I have a few projects in mind. And also don't forget to order an oven so you can bake on some color, I think the Mouse needs a coin for the Mouse Hunters. :)
Seriously, coins have become a HUGE business so maybe....just maybe, the price and some of the restrictive requirements will be eased do to competition and you can have some coins stuck for a few bucks each. Of course the number of them floating around would jump sky high and the collectability would be almost nill so the incidents of them being collected from caches would see a significant drop AND your coins would travel the world for many many years.
----------
"Ah, great it is to believe the dream as we stand in youth by the starry stream; but a greater thing is to fight life through and say at the end, the dream is true!"
EDWIN MARKHAM
BackpacknJack
Host

Re: Coin manufactures

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:Has anyone on here had a geocoin made? I'm considering having one made, but am not sure who makes good coins and who is out to rip off the customer. Seems the pricing is pretty close on the ones that post their prices (between $5 and $6 per coin if you are ordeering the 250 minimum to get a custom icon) but I don't know how that translates with service and quality. Some break that down by cost per feature, others have a package deal, but it all seems to add up the same in the long run if you want a trackable coin.

AK

Coins and Pins make good coins and so do some others. Here is a snip of an email that may be of interest to you:
"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MINTING SPECIAL!
Mint your own coin for 2.85 each - Tracking and icon extra

Hogwild Stuff would like to see more of our customers with their own personal geocoin. We are offering our high quality coins at a big savings to you.

We know your coin project is important to you and want to insure you have the coin you always wanted. Now you can have that coin for a price you only dreamed of.

Sharon will give you quick and personal service. She will keep you updated on the progress of your project and help you with the many choices you will need to make. She will answer any all questions with a smile and perhaps a joke or two. You will have a blast making your coin!
Let's do it!

250 minimum non-trackable
1.50 inch
3mm
Soft enamel
Up to 10 colors free including translucent
These polished metals are included: Nickel, Gold, Copper, Black nickel
Get your own high quality World Famous Coin today!

Email Sharon at: Sharon@hogwildstuff.org
Or call her: 408-483-4350

Contact Information
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Moran: smoran@hogwildstuff.org 650-279-7996
Sharon Mangan: sharon@hogwildstuff.org 408-483-4350
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:09 pm

That almost sounds good until you realise that OakCoins will do a coin with those same specs for $2.50 a coin.

The $5-$6 per coin price I was looking at was for a larger coin (1.75") and included the cost of tracking numbers plus the $150 one-time fee for a special icon when averaged over 250 coins.

Personalgeocoins has a one-fee-fits all that includes laser engraving and shipping that adds up to $5.60 a coin for the 1.5" and $6.40 each for the 1.75".

OakCoins ends up $4.59/coin in the 1.5" and $5.45/coin in the 1.75" but doesn't include laser engraving or shipping costs.

CoinsandPins doesn't give you a price at all. They say to send in the design and they'll let you know... :?

The one upside to CoinsandPins is that if they really like the design you might get a few free ones while they sell off the rest at a profit, assumming you didn't want all 250 coins for your own use in the first place. Not sure of the number you actually get.

Return to “Travel Bugs and GeoCoins”