Issues, request, ideals, tips, fixes, etc.
SJClimber

Postby SJClimber » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:32 pm

Where do you all get your avatars, and then some folks tweak them? How you do that???? From a computer not so literate human. Thanks, SJC
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:21 am

A google search using the images button is a start.
You may also make your own images or modify something using Paintshop or Jasc or even simple old Paint found in windows.
I made the site icons (New Post,etc.) using Paint, the Treasurechest avatar I used for awhile using Jasc plus Paintshop Pro, and "Spanky the Wizard" made the Mouse-atar.
What ever you decide, you may upload images for your avatar that are up to 100 X 100 Pixels and the total image is no larger than 20000 bytes.
You may also use offsite images by posting the url.
Either choice may be used at the bottom of your profile page.
Yep, some folks got really cool avatars.
I will soon build an FAQ and add the avatar image size info.
SJClimber

Postby SJClimber » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks Jack, I'll investigate more.
"CacheMates"

Postby "CacheMates" » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:10 pm

I have also wondered where all those creative avatars were found. I am just not that computer saavy.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Step by step, slowly I turned. Sorry, but that's another show :D

Geekyness isn't even skin deep:

You don’t have to be all that techno geeky to do it, mostly you just have to be techno lucky to find something you like.
Right click and save it to your desktop, once downloaded right click on it and click properties. If it is 100 X 100 or less and the total file is 20KBs or less you are good to go. If not open any photo editor you happen to have and change the pixel height and width, make any changes to design or color you want, change the quality (pixels per inch) if the file is still too large. Save as (jpg jpeg etc are usually smaller files then others)
Done yet? Well now open your profile page, in Avatar Control Panel click browse, find that image on your desktop and click it, etc. Don’t forget to click Submit when done. Now you too will be way too cool. :wink:
"CacheMates"

Postby "CacheMates" » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:20 pm

I did a little messing around like you said and come up with my first Krispy Kreme Can. I will try something else now. Thanks for the help.
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:50 am

Kind of an old thread but for those of us with no computer literacy whatsoever, there is a thread on the geocaching.com forums where you can post an avatar request and some very helpful geocachers will create one for you.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:35 pm

OEnavigator wrote:Kind of an old thread but for those of us.../

I never could understand why it was so un-cool on websites to bump a topic back up by posting to it. Seems to me that you must have found something of interest and that is supposed to be a good thing. Right?
Maybe I'm just very slow about some things and that is why I don't get some stuff but as I verrrrrrry slooooooooowly read your new addition to this thread I find it interesting. As for me, I just use a picture of the actual cowboy hat I wear so folks may even figure out who I am when meeting me for the first time at events, etc. Same as with the money mouse avatar, it is a copy of the actual picture you will see on the mouse's vest if you make the hunt in time to find the mouse. I think the coolest avatar would be a picture of the check for the $356 million lottery I just won but until then...it's just a plain old palm leaf straw hat. :cry:
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:34 am

:lol:
I probably spend too much time on the geocaching forums for my own good. That place is a viper pit. I just get bored. I like the hat though. Now I know what to look for at an event!

Return to “This Web Site”