Hardware and Software

Don't call 911. Head for this help station.
admin
Site Admin

Hardware and Software

Postby admin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Discussions about hardware and software go here, so maybe all the great techno geeky info stuff doesn't get buried. (well, we can always hope right?)
Let's listen to one another. Really listen.
admin
Site Admin

Move with permission

Postby admin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:21 pm

Posted by SANCHO
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007 11:04 am Post subject: GSAK Version 7
I got a message from Clyde at GSAK that version 7 was available now. But it won't be free this time.
Anybody tried it ?

Response by ar_kayaker
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007 06:48 pm Post subject:
Not me, and I probably won't. I haven't even upgraded to the latest version of GSAK 6. The current install has been working fine so I see no reason to change it.

I probably also won't bother with Vista either, until I'm forced to. Then again I might just buy a MAC next time I upgrade.

David Mc

Response by SJClimber
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007 10:33 pm Post subject: GSAK
Have downloaded the new copy, but cannot comment as yet. You do not have to pay for the program, but the "nag" screen about registering will appear after 21 days of use. If you are previously registered, your "upgrade" cost is $15 which is nothing for the service Clyde provides. (Brand new users pay $25). Another point, once registered, you can load the program on mutiple machines for the same price. A deal... I just give him $20 a year to keep him interested and as a little incentive. Again, not much for a great little program.

Response by SANCHO
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 07:34 am Post subject:
ar_kayaker,
I will not go to vista until they have worked out a lot of the wrinkles. But sooner or later it will happen. I have four computers running in my computer room. All are old and slow. Each does a particular task though and is sufficient for that. One is my caching puter, with all the various programs that I use on it.
My Main Operating Systems are;
Windows 98
Windows Millineum
Windows 2000 office
Windows XP
Although Macintosh machines are powerful and pretty, I will stay with mainstream America because of cost and availability of service.
I have a buddy that caches with me that uses a MAC. He always has to put an extra step in each operation to get the same result.

Response by SANCHO
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 07:37 am Post subject:
SJClimber,
I think you are right. The ability to load to multiple machines or devices is great. It saves having to Beam from one pda to another, or manipulate things , or withstand the obligatory time out.
I will get the new version in the near future. thanks for the input.

Response by BackpacknJack
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 06:58 pm Post subject:
4 computers all running 6.6.4. (registered) and it will do more then I need to do or know how to do. I haven't gone to read what was changed or added to the newest version yet so I may change my mind (I have changed my mind before Wink but for now I will just stick.
Win98, XP pro, XP pro, XP Media 2005, plus my iPAQ. no Vista.
BackpacknJack
Host

PALM DESKTOP HOTSYNC and VISTA

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:38 pm

Just a software heads-up for those paperless Palm cachers among you who are thinking about upgrading to a new PC. According to the Palm web site, Vista and your Palm Sync program may not play well together. Vista doesn’t seem to like the Palm’s PDB files and you may have to use a workaround like using a flash drive or SDcard or even email to transfer the files to your Palm. They seem to be working on it and believe they will have it worked out this summer.
I know, just when you thought it was safe to get in the water. :roll:
---------------------------
Windows VistaTM Information for Palm Smartphones and Handhelds

“ “Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager compatibility with Windows Vista
(For all Palm OS devices including Treo 700p, 680, 650; Tungsten; Zire; and LifeDrive)”
“Palm Desktop versions 4.1.4e and 4.2 will install on Windows Vista and will synchronize Personal Information Manager (PIM) items including Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos.
Other versions of Palm Desktop have not been tested with Windows Vista. You may be able to install and use other versions, but we cannot provide technical support for these installations.
Coming soon: Look for a beta release of the new Windows Vista-compatible Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager software this summer.”

If this is of interest you can read more about it here:
http://www.palm.com/us/support/windowsv ... .html#palm
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:24 am

Ain't tecknowledgy wonderful??

Had a like problem when I downloaded the new Garmin feature to send a cache from "the site" to my gps. Had download a new driver as well. Took a bit to figure that out tho. And in the woods where Ilive there is only dialup. Then a prob with one of the map programs. All is good now.

On the road again!!
dlyle
Very Active Poster

Re: PALM DESKTOP HOTSYNC and VISTA

Postby dlyle » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:22 am

BackpacknJack wrote:. . . Vista and your Palm Sync program may not play well together. . .

Good information! Sometimes staying with the "old" technology isn't always bad. . . 8)

dlyle
A man's got to know his limitations. . .
Dirty Harry
BackpacknJack
Host

Street Level Maps

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:39 am

During my June 15-17 trip to Tulsa, OK for “Tulsarama2007” [http://www.buriedcar.com] I was having a hard time getting around town using the street level maps because of the 400 caches loaded into my Meridian Gold. I’ve never even thought about it or had a problem with it before but is there a way of temporarily hiding (without having to reload them again) the caches on your GPS so you can actually see the streets/roads???
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:52 pm

I don't know about any of the Magellan models but all of the garmins I'm familiar with have several different ways to control what is displayed. The simplest is a "declutter" mode which is basically a preset level at which things appear, but you can also select manually whether you want user waypoints displayed at certain zoom levels and a seperate levels for POI's and user POI's.

I keep my map level POI's set to the lowest level because I seldom have need to know if I happen to be near a ATM or McDeath (but if I need to know, then the "find ATM/resturant/etc" feature will find them even if they aren't actively displayed) Then the custom POI's that I have loaded are displayed .5 miles/cm and waypoints display at 1.2miles/cm.

The custom POI's are a great feature IMO because they load to the data card and have no upper limit to how many you can load (other then the size of your data card.) I use POI's to load all the virtuals because the names for POI's can be 44 characters and the desciption is 88 so I can usually put the logging requirements right into the GPSr and not have to worry about needing the laptop or printing the page when I happen to be near a virtual. So far I've only loaded the virts for AR, TN, and KY, but eventually I'll be able to load them all.

I could do caches that way too, but I update the caches often enough that it's more convienient to use waypoints.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:42 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:I don't know about any of the Magellan models but all of the garmins I'm familiar with have several different ways to control what is displayed. The simplest is a "declutter" mode which is basically a preset level at which things appear, but you can also select.........AK

Thanks for the tutorial AK. It will come in handy when I upgrade to a real GPS (Garmin 60csx [J]some day. In the mean time I’ve just now learned how to load more then one map to the Sdcard and to be able to switch between them. The 64MB limit on a single regional map was all I needed to cover Arkansas and the surrounding area so I never bothered to learn how to do more.
Yep, I do be lost in Southern Noddageeky alright and have nodda clue as to how far behind the others I actually may be. :roll:
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 am

I just switched out the micro SD card in my GPSr to upgrade to a 2Gig. Now I have the entire USA street map loaded and have half a gig left over for loading custom tracks and POI's. (With the POI feature on the 60Cx you can basically have unlimited waypoints loaded.)
BackpacknJack
Host

New Vista + Palm

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:46 am

The folks at "Palm" actually did work on the vista/palm compatibility problem just like they said they would and it actually did get finished this summer just the way they said it would. >insert one handed applause here< (because it only works on their newer devices, [quote:]"This version is currently compatible with recent Palm devices.")Here is where you can find out more or download the newer Vista compatible version of the Palm Desktop Manager.
Vista compatible Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager
HercMaster
New Poster

Postby HercMaster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:49 am

ar_kayaker wrote:I just switched out the micro SD card in my GPSr to upgrade to a 2Gig. Now I have the entire USA street map loaded and have half a gig left over for loading custom tracks and POI's. (With the POI feature on the 60Cx you can basically have unlimited waypoints loaded.)

Question: I upgraded (bigger screen, more sensitive receiver) to the 60Cx a couple of months ago and really like the unit. I still use the low-capacity SD card that comes with it. I don't think I need (correct me if I'm wrong) the street map software because I use a separate, dash-mounted "car" GPS to navigate to the general area, then use the 60Cx as I near the cache. If I install a larger memory chip, will it allow me to load more than the 500 geocaches I am currently limited to loading from GSAK to the 60Cx? Or does the SD card only apply to road and/or topo maps?
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:28 am

HercMaster wrote:.../will it allow me to load more than the 500 geocaches I am currently limited to loading from GSAK to the 60Cx?..../

My old Garmin GPS-12 holds 500 caches. (bought in 1996 I think)
My Magellan Meridian Gold holds 500 caches.
My Garmin 60CSx holds 1,000 caches.
I don't know why I need 1,000 when my GC GPX files are set
at only 400 caches and I only find a few per caching day anyway.
HercMaster
New Poster

Postby HercMaster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:54 am

Because I'm a relative newcomer to Arkansas (just a little over 2 years now) there are PLENTY of geocaches I haven't hunted for yet. Well over 500 within fairly easy driving distance of my house (near Ozark) and so I'm not too fussy about which ones I hunt. And sometimes I hunt without reading the cache descriptions - I just go for the coordinates. Sometimes that messes me up, of course, but I don't mind logging DNF's so it doesn't bother me, and the occasional archived cache doesn't bother me either.

So if I could put a couple thousand caches in my GPSr, I could just hunt at random while out driving around, without having to load up my GPSr ahead of time...

Of course for more SERIOUS geocaching on my part, I grab the latest cache info for an area via a Pocket Query, stick it into GSAK, download the selected caches into the GPSr and the Pocket PC with Cachemates, and off I go!
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 pm

HercMaster wrote:If I install a larger memory chip, will it allow me to load more than the 500 geocaches I am currently limited to loading from GSAK to the 60Cx? Or does the SD card only apply to road and/or topo maps?

Well the 60Cx hold 1000 waypoints rather than 500, but other than that, yes you are limited to that 1000 waypoint limit even with the bigger card....at least if you upload them as waypoints. If you use the custom POI feature there is no practical upper limit. (I think it may actually limit at 50,000 or something like that, but nobody is ever likely to actually try to load that many anyway.

The problem with loading geocaches as custom POI's is that it negates the geocaching functions built into the unit such as automatically converting a cache icon from "not found" to "found" and the "find next" feature.

On the other hand you can put 256 characters of data in the text description of the POI versus ~20 for a waypoint.

AK
HercMaster
New Poster

Postby HercMaster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:06 am

ar_kayaker wrote:Well the 60Cx hold 1000 waypoints rather than 500, but other than that, yes you are limited to that 1000 waypoint limit even with the bigger card....at least if you upload them as waypoints. If you use the custom POI feature there is no practical upper limit. (I think it may actually limit at 50,000 or something like that, but nobody is ever likely to actually try to load that many anyway.

The problem with loading geocaches as custom POI's is that it negates the geocaching functions built into the unit such as automatically converting a cache icon from "not found" to "found" and the "find next" feature.

AK

Hmmm, I wonder if I am doing something wrong with GSAK?? My 60Cx seems to cut off at 500, not 1000, when I upload as waypoints.

Yes, those two geocaching functions built in to the 60Cx are handy, which is why I haven't done the custom POI thingie.

Return to “Geocaching Help Station”